Catillion
Windows vs Linux at server End For Xoops
  • 2006/6/2 14:38

• Catillion

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/1 2

I got a reply from one of the personnel on my servers help forum in which it was suggested that I upload XOOPS for a Linux data base rather than a windows data base. Being pretty new to all this I have no idea why I would want to fool around in a Linux atmosphere when I know even less about linux.

Is XOOPS based more on linux than windows? I had the feeling, having researched a lot of different aspects of web options in the past year, that XOOPS had the "free" flair of linux. The last thing I need at this point is to have to learn linux from scratch.

Dave_L
Re: Windows vs Linux at server End For Xoops
  • 2006/6/2 14:51

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

XOOPS should work ok on either a Windows or a Linux server.

But Linux has the advantage that it's easier to deal with some issues, such as changing directory or file permissions. On Windows, changing permissions often requires action by someone with administrative access to the server.

msdana
  • 2006/6/2 15:29

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Having multiple websites on both Linux and Windows servers, I can honestly say this:

RUN, RUN!! from the Windows server as fast as you can!

As Dave_L said, file permissions can be a pain in the . You may or may not have issues with the email function within XOOPS (PHPMailer is buggy on IIS).

In addition, some modules require "tweaking" to get them to work properly on IIS. When I install a new module or even an external PHP application, I hold my breath and close my eyes

All that being said, I have XOOPS successfully running on IIS, sometimes it's just more work

HTH
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

Catillion
  • 2006/6/2 16:01

• Catillion

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/1 2

Well, I chose the windows server as I thought that windows was what I needed. Might have been an "oops" on my part. At the time I did not know about XOOPS. Where would I go to find info on windows and XOOPS with the peculiarities that I would have to face? Googling only works if one has a pretty good idea of one needs. I don't.

Can a person work within a Linux environment if one has little idea of Linux? Or, perhaps I should just go back to the original web pages I was working on?

msdana
  • 2006/6/2 18:13

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Quote:
Where would I go to find info on windows and XOOPS with the peculiarities that I would have to face?

It's trial and error. It's not exactly Windows and XOOPS peculiarities, it's more like Windows IIS and PHP. Each version is different and each has it's problems, so you won't find a page listing the problems

Most of my issues were solved by searching the XOOPS website and posting my questions on the module developer's forums. Most module developer's provide excellent help if you only let them know what the problem is and give a detailed description.

The support here is quite good too

Go with what makes you comfortable, sit back and enjoy Xoops!
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

Login

Who's Online

477 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 477

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits