javier
My site KILL my vps :(
  • 2006/6/1 19:23

• javier

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/8/6 1

Hi,
Im in a VPS server (AMD dual opterons de 248) with a minimun of 256mb ram guaranteed and 1gb ram maximum guaranteed.

Resized Image

The first months in this vps, the server allow 40 concurrent users before crash and restart (problem due to many MySQL querys in sleep)
Any number below 40 concurrent users was fine and without problems.

Resized Image

Resized Image

For SOLVE these problem i modified my "my.cnf" file,

Originally wait_timeout=60 and i modified to wait_timeout=30

After these changes the vps run like a dream! allow 60 concurrent users without problems, and all works fine.
But after 1 week the vps Magically start with problems again.

With ONLY 25 concurrent users gave me this error:
(never before 25 users was a problem, in fact a shared server allow 25 users withour problems, a vps can't??)

Resized Image

With 40 users online give the following error:

image1
Resized Image

image2
Resized Image

more user_beancounters
Resized Image

my.cnf
Resized Image

Is the first time im in a hosted vps,
i not understand why the vps start having problems at 25 concurrent users NOW, has not sense! even a shared server support 25 concurrent users!
This vps always supported 40 concurrent users without problems, after the my.cnf changes works like a dream and now its a disaster
Maybe the hosting provider moved my vps to a more busy server?
How much Ram is necessary for 50 concurrent users?

I use XOOPS 2.0.13 with last version of CBB.

thanks in advance, and plz excuse my poor english
Best regards
Javier

Marco
Re: My site KILL my vps :(
  • 2006/6/1 21:30

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

Have you activated cache feature (general configs, in admin panel), for each module
have you desactivated unnecessary options in CBB?
marco
Do synergy or die.

javier
  • 2006/6/1 22:22

• javier

• Not too shy to talk

Hi,
sorry i forget to include that in my post, the answer is yes,
I have my XOOPS site totally optimized.

grettings
Javier

brash
  • 2006/6/1 22:34

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi Javier,

You have a VPS, so you have the advantage of being able to tweak your server as much a you want to get the best performance. I suggest you look into the following;

Theme - Use CSS for positioning and reduce/consolidate images to reduce page weight and HTTP requests require to load the page.

Xoops Caching - In particular make sure your Xoop blocks are set to use caching as they are usually very expensive in terms of MySQL queries. Also look at module level caching as well.

PHP opcode cache - If your using PHP 4.x, then I suggest you have a look at eAccelerator to dramatically increase your PHP performance. If you are using PHP 5.x I would suggest using APC as I've read eAccelerator has a few issues with this branch.

Webserver - If your using IIS then you should configure your PHP application mapping to use FastCGI or ISAPI (FastCGI is better under heavy load). Looks like your running Apache so look at loading PHP into Apache as a module rather than CGI.

MySQL Query Caching & Buffer sizes - I see you have MySQL query caching already enabled, but be sure you've done your homework there. Due to the way query caching works it can actually really hurt performance if your site has a very heavy write load (such as forums, comments sections). Also look at tuning your buffers, for instance your key_buffer is set to 256MB which is 100% of your garanteed RAM.

Generally in a VPS you REALLY need to put the squeeze on the use of memory bound buffers and caches as it is usually a VERY limited resource. Once you have it tuned though your server should be able to handle just about anything. Have a read of the article I wrote about performance tuning XOOPS on IIS where I was able to gain around 1000% perofmance increase in some areas over the default install. It is about Windows/IIS, but very similar principals will apply to Linux/Apache. I also found a brilliant slideshow overview on php.net a while back explaining how to configure PHP with Apache to get maximum performance. Would be whell worth your while hunting that down too.
IT Headquarters
Innovative IT Solutions

javier
  • 2006/6/2 0:11

• javier

• Not too shy to talk

Hi Brash,
nice to see you, some time ago (when my site was in a shared server) we talk per pm about something like this, surely you not remember that.
In fact my XOOPS site are optimized follow your guides.

The things i not touched was php and MySQL except for the things i tell in this topic.
I will check your guides again and follow your suggestions,
and try to make my best shot (im totally new in this servers things, all my life my sites was in shared servers, is something really hard for me but i will try :) )

Thanks alot for take time to reply to this topic,i really apreciatte that,
I have this problem since months ago and never find a solution

Quote:

brash wrote:
Xoops Caching - In particular make sure your Xoop blocks are set to use caching as they are usually very expensive in terms of MySQL queries. Also look at module level caching as well.

That´s done

Quote:

brash wrote:
MySQL Query Caching & Buffer sizes - I see you have MySQL query caching already enabled, but be sure you've done your homework there. Due to the way query caching works it can actually really hurt performance if your site has a very heavy write load (such as forums, comments sections). Also look at tuning your buffers, for instance your key_buffer is set to 256MB which is 100% of your garanteed RAM.

My site work around the discussion board, because its a Free technical support site.
The use of the forum is very intensive.
--
Then i must find a way to deactivate the MySQL query caching.
(i say find a way, because i have to make a google search for learn about that, yes i know what your think in this moment, im a newbie yes :) )

Should i use 128mn for key_buffer maybe? i just made a search in google and i found with low key_buffer values the load is low, because it wait a little or something like that.
I read the 50% of the system is recomended, in this vps should be 128mb.

Quote:

brash wrote:
Webserver - If your using IIS then you should configure your PHP application mapping to use FastCGI or ISAPI (FastCGI is better under heavy load). Looks like your running Apache so look at loading PHP into Apache as a module rather than CGI.

I think is done:

Loaded Modules: mod_security, mod_auth_passthrough, mod_log_bytes, mod_bwlimited, mod_php4, mod_frontpage, mod_ssl, mod_setenvif, mod_so, mod_expires, mod_auth, mod_access, mod_rewrite, mod_alias, mod_userdir, mod_actions, mod_imap, mod_asis, mod_cgi, mod_dir, mod_autoindex, mod_include, mod_status, mod_negotiation, mod_mime, mod_log_config, mod_env, http_core
[/quote]

Quote:

brash wrote:
PHP opcode cache - If your using PHP 4.x, then I suggest you have a look at eAccelerator to dramatically increase your PHP performance. If you are using PHP 5.x I would suggest using APC as I've read eAccelerator has a few issues with this branch.

The zend come installed with the vps, is the same?

Zend Optimizer
Optimization Pass 1 enabled
Optimization Pass 2 enabled
Optimization Pass 3 enabled
Optimization Pass 4 enabled
Optimization Pass 9 disabled
Zend Loader enabled
License Path no value

Best regards
Javier

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits