bfdiii
newbb forum module - change background of subforum list
  • 2006/5/7 8:35

• bfdiii

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/3 1

I am having a great amount of difficulty finding and modifying the background color of the collapsed subforum list. I found the section in the newbb templates, of "newbb_index.html" and here is one of my attempts to change the background color to an existing class called "odd". The background remains transparent and I wish to make it white. Please help, I suspect this hint will take me far. Thanks

<{if $forum.subforum}>

<{$smarty.const._MD_SUBFORUMS}> <{$img_subforum}> 
<{foreach item=subforum from=$forum.subforum}>
 [<{$subforum.forum_name}>]
<{/foreach}>

bfdiii
Re: newbb forum module - change background of subforum list
  • 2006/5/7 19:10

• bfdiii

• Just popping in

Is it so difficult a problem to change the background color that nobody knows how to do it? I mean what is the problem?

where do i go? the template, the style sheet, where?

iHackCode

try style.css for the theme.

.odd
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

bfdiii
  • 2006/5/7 20:59

• bfdiii

• Just popping in

that is what I would have expected in this case. Something is very strange here, the "odd" does not do anything and does not cause a change in the background. In fact, when I remove the newbb_index.html - not a thing changes. Therefore, this is not where it is getting its information to create a template.

I am very, very frustrated. I have been renaming files all over the place attempting to locate the file that is creating this display. The only file that appears to do anything is viewforum.php - which causes an error on reloading the page, that it does not exist.

thanks for your help though.

bfdiii
  • 2006/5/7 21:33

• bfdiii

• Just popping in

While I consider the code quite useful, it becomes worthless when it is required of the user to reverse engineer how the code works. It is absolutely incredible to me that the code was released without documentation or comments within the code base. If I were part of the team working on this project, I would be kicking and screaming at the coder of the newbb module. The coder shows a complete lack of respect for the team as a whole and for the community that will be using the system. And, I would not want that coder working with me in the future.

Call this a complaint to management or whatever; it is a disgraceful and unnecessary practice. I am going through and slowly putting 'debug' messages into the code so I can figure out where I am at. Arg!

bfdiii
  • 2006/5/7 22:49

• bfdiii

• Just popping in

Well, folks, it is unbelievably difficult for me to say it, my site is starting to look oh so beautiful; but it is time for me to step back and drop kick my site into the dumpster. I am going to go with another forum. lol...

iHackCode

i use a firefox extension called 'web developer' to help me with CSS and other things.

if you have firefox . you should try that extension to help with the classes. the class is .odd but it could be like td .odd or something in the style sheet
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

bfdiii
  • 2006/5/7 23:36

• bfdiii

• Just popping in

thanks, I will try that.

Bassman
  • 2006/5/8 0:15

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Trying to change forum colors can be extremely frustrating, as I have discovered in the past. One problem you will encounter is that other modules will use the same classes in unexpected places, so you may find other colors changing where you don't want them to. You could try creating a new class in your style sheet and changing the module template to reflect the new class. Don't forget to clone your original template set first though.
Please note this is only useful for your own site. You won't be able to distribute the theme unless you also distribute the altered templates as well.

bfdiii
  • 2006/5/8 0:37

• bfdiii

• Just popping in

That web developer extension to firefox is very useful. Greatest of appreciation from this end....

OK, now I got to figure out how to manipulate some of the views... might take some serious hacking; but I can get the site up and running before I do that.

Thanks for your help.

Login

Who's Online

402 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 402

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits