Will_H
Re: i want to make a xoopsforlife website
  • 2006/5/1 17:08

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

ok first off... wow dude.

Get your domains through godaddy, or another provider like that. This way if there is a problem with your host they dont own your domain.

9 bucks a year dude.....

msdana
  • 2006/5/1 17:10

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

I paid $2.95 for my domain, which I own and it's hosting with my provider.
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

Will_H
  • 2006/5/1 17:16

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

ya well we will see how much you own that domain when you try to go to another host.

msdana
  • 2006/5/1 17:18

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

As stated previously, my domain is with another host and has been since I bought the domain.

There are no obligations at iPowerWeb as I thoroughly checked it out before purchasing the domain.
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]

Will_H
  • 2006/5/1 17:23

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

As i stated before wait until you want to switch hosts.
obviously I have had experiences with ipowerweb and they charge the hell out of you if you wanna switch hosts.

msdana
  • 2006/5/1 17:25

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

My host is my business partner, who is not affiliated with iPowerWeb. I can move my domain at any time.

EDIT: Actually, it has been moved twice since I purchased it.

So buying a domain for $2.95 at iPowerWeb does not obligate you to purchase their hosting. You are free to take the domain wherever you choose.

Will_H
  • 2006/5/1 17:49

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

That has unfortuneatly not been my experience with them, they charged 15 for every domain transferred out.

all i can say is godaddy and servint ftw!

**edit**

oh ya I forgot to mention the fanatasic tech support....

ipowerwebstaff :hey thanks for choosing ipowerweb how can I help you?

me: hello, I am trying to edit my zone files... but i cant seem to find them anywhere...

ipowerwebstaff: one moment while i evaluate your question.

me : uhm ok...

(5 mins later)
ipowerwenstaff: one moment while i evaluate your question.

me: yep still here.

ipowerwebstaff: Sir I am afraid that this option is not available.

me: oh ya?

---------------------------

wow, i can see why they are only 2.95

JMorris
  • 2006/5/1 20:02

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

If you want the most accurate information regarding web hosts and domain providers, I suggest you go over to the WebHostingTalk Forums and search around in their Domain forum.

I chose 1and1 because their price on domains is quite reasonable, they give you lots of freebies, their control panel and documentation make administering my domains simple, and they also offer free domain privacy (your contact details are not listed in WHOIS).

There are a lot of good domain providers out there, but as mentioned above, be very careful in who you choose for your domain. Some providers will indeed take your domain from you, sometimes for the most stupid reason.

I currently manage 55 domains through 1and1 and have not had a problem in 3 years. Note: Several of those domains are hosted on different hosting providers, not affiliated with 1and1.

RE: Free domain...

I highly recommend you avoid free domain services. Most force you to use their hosting and then they force pop-ups on you. If not, they don't *really* give you the domain, they just loan it to you. So far, I haven't found a free domain provider that was worth the trouble. $6/yr/domain buys me a LOT of control and peice of mind.

Hope that helps.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Login

Who's Online

128 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 128

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits