zioncurtain4
Re: Guy says I stole his theme ??

These are things that bothered me about this whole situation.

1. All of the graphics used in the theme were graphics that I personally made.

2. I had altered the CSS and changed all of the colors, and the navigation.

3. We are a not-for-profit organization. We don't accept donations, payments, etc. We weren't ripping this guy off, even if it was his theme.

4. When we got it, it had already been hacked up, and there was no license agreement with this theme.

My most humble apologies for stepping on someone's foot here. I had no intentions of violating anyones personal property.

bb2120
  • 2006/4/6 9:19

• bb2120

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/7/6 1

fair enough

Tailzehhhh
  • 2006/4/6 18:15

• Tailzehhhh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/6 5

be careful in the future, we had to suspend a few of our XOOPS clients due to copyright abuse.

Tailzehhhh
  • 2006/4/6 18:16

• Tailzehhhh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/6 5

be careful in the future, we had to suspend a few of our XOOPS clients due to copyright abuse.

tom
  • 2006/4/6 18:51

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

From my understanding any thing released that works with XOOPS and requires XOOPS will be GPL, with exception of graphics, therfore you do not have to give visible credit unless you use the original graphics. however should the file be redistributed then the code credits must remain intact.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

zioncurtain4

That is what my understanding of the GPL was, but this guy demanded that I place a visible link on my site.
I had no problem putting a link in the code, but in his demanding email to me, he was threatening me if I didn't put a visible link to his site from mine.

Non of the graphics on the site were his. Most of the code and layout had been changed too.

I think that this guy just had a bad day or something..

But I solved the problem, and I just recreated a theme using the graphics that I had made.

Thanks for all of your advice!

Catzwolf
  • 2006/4/6 20:36

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

The question is this, did you use any of his images at all?

If the answer is no, then this guy does not have a leg to stand on. His images will be copyright but the code is certainly NOT. As with modules, the code will be the same as XOOPS under the GNU and must follow the same rules. However, he does retain the right to his copyright images if he can actually prove that they belong to him.

I think some theme developers forget they are still dealing with the GNU when it comes to code and they cannot enforce you to actually do anything if you DO NOT use their images.

Thats my opinion.

ATB

Catz

zioncurtain4

No, none of the images on the site were his. I had everything custom made.

But now, not even the code is credited to him in any way. He has no leg to stand on at all.

If he would have been civil with me, I may have gave him a link on the home page.... But now it doesn't matter.

Thanks again for clearing up the GNU issue!

Bender
  • 2006/4/6 21:40

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Before people start bashing the wrong dev i tossed a mail to Goran to see whether he really sent that mail from the gmail account to you.

I would guess you met what we in germany would call a "hobby sheriff".
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

zioncurtain4

Ahhh!!! So it didn't come from Goran?!

I never got a response back to my email. All I knew is someone wrote me a nasty email threatening to take action against me about this copyright infringment.

I guessed it to be from the developer, but thats why I brought it to the community to check and see what the dealio is.

Login

Who's Online

199 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 199

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits