tzvook
Re: XOOPS Newsletter Mailer
  • 2006/3/24 10:45

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
I'll chimne is as well. I'll see if the Foundation can chime in here with a more substantial donation, but it'll mean more influence on the feature requests I know phplist, and it is good, but I'd like better integration with the XOOPS content, making it possible to send out user/group specific mailings, for instance.

Anyways, count me in.

Herko

Grerat to hear that
And,yep, about feature request, I have such a long list that probably all you thought of is there, I'll try to post it here later on .. today ....

andycleff
  • 2006/3/24 13:19

• andycleff

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/4/29

I'd like to suggest that we give ourselves a deadline of next Friday, 31 March to get all the feature requests in. If we don't do this "everything else" will take priority - work, play, family...etc

I'll take all the requests and attempt to put them in some "order" and then pass them on to Marcan for review and comment.

To assist in that sorting out of features, it would be great if feature requests came all identified by priority - for example: (A) absolutely must have with RC1, (B) would be nice in RC1, (C) consider for version 2...

Thanks!
Andy Cleff
Ampersand Design, Inc
Doylestown, PA
-----
Helping our clients bring great ideas into shape through integrated marketing, creative branding, print and web strategy, online learning and e-commerce.

www.ampersandesign.net

tzvook
  • 2006/3/24 16:52

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

I see the mailinglist module being built with dual uses, both with admin side and user's side (fully supporting xoops's groups rights) :

1. A tool for keeping contacts lists (supported by a custom fields ability, and custom made groups/lists - not XOOPS groups) ... can be similar to an advanced phonebook.
2. An advanced mailiglist tool for working with those contacts lists, with an archive ability.

If you take a look @ Phplists or @ some commercial mailinglists, you'll find most of the following features, but usually not orgenized or presented good enough.
In the described mailinglist, the phonebook tool will takecare of dealing with the contacts on those lists, and the mailinglist tool will take care of sending emails, maybe even folow their arrival/bounces of the emails and of course the mailings archives.

Features:

THE ADDRESSBOOK (or shell I say the contacts lists manager)

1. Groups (maybe even sub-groups)
2. Import-export contacts from-to xoops-users-database + csv(outlook/excell/... friendly)
and/or pdf (maybe even MySQL table ofyour previeous mailinglist).
2a. there should be very strong and stable "user import" function - It's very important that the Import-export tool will do it's actions in packets, for avoiding the script-execution time (php.ini) which is set to minimum on a shared environment.
2b. import of XOOPS groups users will be made into a selected contact's list
3. opt-in and opt-out feature.
4. Predefined fields (name, family name, primary Email, secondary Email, phone, mobile phone, address, etc')
5. Extra Custum fields (or hard coded, but with the ability to show/hide/change name + field kind).
5a. for each field, checkbox for showing it at list view and/or at extended view.
6. phonebook presentation for the user's side (backed up with ability to show-hide contacts lists for each XOOPS group, and with show-hide fields for each contact list)
- Contacts dividing by groups
- Alphabetic sorting.
- Users Can search phonebook
- printer version will be available for clean prints without the template
- - subscribe / unsubscribe as in the folowing lines:
- XOOPS users can add themselves to the phone book/mailinglist.
- Anonimus users can/cannot add themselfs to the phonebook-mailinglist.
- an updated disclaimer b4 the add user thing. (we won't give your address to a third party thing )
- Users can update info if tied to a XOOPS user (after loggin in)
- users cad get out of the lists (admin approval or not at all)
7. option (for admin) to add , edit , delete , move to another list - users
8. duplicated user records in lists.
9. - Admin Can approve or allow auto approve for users who add entries in specific groups.
10. Groups with admin rights for the mailinglist module (as for all XOOPS modules) and for each contacts group.
11. Blocks: Phonebooks categories(groups) , subscribe-unsubscribe-update my details ...

MAILINGLIST SIDE
(sending mails and Archiving)

1. Sending Emails in sessions (packets) with the ability to choose no. of emails at one session - not booging shared servers , maybe even choosing how many users from a domain will get email from the mailinglist at a time interval.
2. Html and text emails in the same time, with wysiwyg support (xoops wysiwyg class)
3. Templates ( editable will be nice ) for the newsletters.
4. Ability to send to groups and/or individuals.
5. Function for not sending duplicated emails if user is in more then one group.
6. Pre defined vars for using in the emails
( first name, family name, Email , direct link for unsuscribe, direct link for updating user'sdetails
7. Each sent mail can be included in the archives (or not), and the can be deleted and edited by admin .
8. Newsletters archive with categories/subjects.
9. Search archive feature.
10. Blocks for individuals archive categories.

I'll update this list with some more .... my kids drive me crazy right now

tzvook
  • 2006/3/26 10:49

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

BUMP

I think it's gonna be one of the most important project for the community these days and really hope some more users will join this shared effort.

Anyway, hope to see some more feature requests and/or comments on those in my list.

For those who want to see one more nice mailinglist (still not even an RC, but looks very very promising and well developed: take a look at Bmail from :http://www.iceburg.net/bmail/index.php/Main_Page )

giba
  • 2006/3/26 17:42

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

Quote:

tzvook wrote:

Hello tzvook and all users.

Quote:

I see the mailinglist module being built with dual uses, both with admin side and user's side (fully supporting xoops's groups rights) :

I this have in xmail 2.0

Quote:

1. A tool for keeping contacts lists (supported by a custom fields ability, and custom made groups/lists - not XOOPS groups) ... can be similar to an advanced phonebook.

No exist in Xmail, was, anoted for next version.

Quote:

2. An advanced mailiglist tool for working with those contacts lists, with an archive ability.

Xmail OK.

Quote:

If you take a look @ Phplists or @ some commercial mailinglists, you'll find most of the following features, but usually not orgenized or presented good enough.
In the described mailinglist, the phonebook tool will takecare of dealing with the contacts on those lists, and the mailinglist tool will take care of sending emails, maybe even folow their arrival/bounces of the emails and of course the mailings archives.

Xmail is partial for it.

Quote:

Features:

THE ADDRESSBOOK (or shell I say the contacts lists manager)

1. Groups (maybe even sub-groups)

No exist in Xmail.

Quote:

2. Import-export contacts from-to xoops-users-database + csv(outlook/excell/... friendly)
and/or pdf (maybe even MySQL table ofyour previeous mailinglist).

No exist in Xmail. Analysing for next version. Good idea

Quote:

2a. there should be very strong and stable "user import" function - It's very important that the Import-export tool will do it's actions in packets, for avoiding the script-execution time (php.ini) which is set to minimum on a shared environment.
2b. import of XOOPS groups users will be made into a selected contact's list

For this control, divibe by size files and upload script.

Quote:

3. opt-in and opt-out feature.
4. Predefined fields (name, family name, primary Email, secondary Email, phone, mobile phone, address, etc')
5. Extra Custum fields (or hard coded, but with the ability to show/hide/change name + field kind).

If profile users hack for version 2.0.13.2, working in final version.

Quote:

5a. for each field, checkbox for showing it at list view and/or at extended view.

No, i not uderstand.

Quote:

6. phonebook presentation for the user's side (backed up with ability to show-hide contacts lists for each XOOPS group, and with show-hide fields for each contact list)
- Contacts dividing by groups
- Alphabetic sorting.
- Users Can search phonebook

Depedence for module profile.

Quote:

- - subscribe / unsubscribe as in the folowing lines:
- XOOPS users can add themselves to the phone

Exist in xmail.

Quote:

book/mailinglist.
- Anonimus users can/cannot add themselfs to the phonebook-mailinglist.
- an updated disclaimer b4 the add user thing. (we won't give your address to a third party thing )
- Users can update info if tied to a XOOPS user (after loggin in)

No exist.

Quote:

- users cad get out of the lists (admin approval or not at all)
7. option (for admin) to add , edit , delete , move to another list - users

Exist in Xmail.

Quote:

8. duplicated user records in lists.
9. - Admin Can approve or allow auto approve for users who add entries in specific groups.

No exist in Xmail.

Quote:

10. Groups with admin rights for the mailinglist module (as for all XOOPS modules) and for each contacts group.
11. Blocks: Phonebooks categories(groups) , subscribe-unsubscribe-update my details ...

MAILINGLIST SIDE
(sending mails and Archiving)

Next version Xmail.

Quote:

1. Sending Emails in sessions (packets) with the ability to choose no. of emails at one session - not booging shared servers , maybe even choosing how many users from a domain will get email from the mailinglist at a time interval.
2. Html and text emails in the same time, with wysiwyg support (xoops wysiwyg class)
3. Templates ( editable will be nice ) for the newsletters.
4. Ability to send to groups and/or individuals.
5. Function for not sending duplicated emails if user is in more then one group.

Exist in Xmail.

Quote:

6. Pre defined vars for using in the emails
( first name, family name, Email , direct link for unsuscribe, direct link for updating user'sdetails

No exist in Xmail, good idea. Analysing.

Quote:

7. Each sent mail can be included in the archives (or not), and the can be deleted and edited by admin .

Exist in Xmail.

Quote:

8. Newsletters archive with categories/subjects.
9. Search archive feature.

Exist in Xmail.

Quote:

10. Blocks for individuals archive categories.

I'll update this list with some more .... my kids drive me crazy right now

No exist in Xmail. Develoment in andament for new version. This is present.

Sorry, my english is very poor.
New features and idea, contact-me Giba.xoops@gmail.com

giba
  • 2006/3/26 17:43

• giba

• Just can't stay away

Ps: New version Xmail in andament, working in XOOPS 2.0.13.2.

[Edited by Giba]

RoadMap about Xmail 2.5

tzvook
  • 2006/3/26 20:17

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

Hello Giba

I tried Xmail a few times before , but had problems with the inport users thing every time I tried.

Xmail seems to be built too tight around your site community, while building corporate sites need to manage a lot of data outside your site community, and I think a good strong mailinglist has to have that.

I wouldn't mind giving Xmail another test drive, but there's no decent english translation, lots of language vars are missing, and it seems that it don't like the XOOPS 2.2.x series. which I prefer to use ...
Last bersion I tried (v2.0 from, Release Date: 18 Março 2005) had problems importing 2600 users and some white screens ...

giba
  • 2006/3/27 1:32

• giba

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

tzvook wrote:
Hello Giba

I tried Xmail a few times before , but had problems with the inport users thing every time I tried.

Ok, no problem.

Quote:

Xmail seems to be built too tight around your site community, while building corporate sites need to manage a lot of data outside your site community, and I think a good strong mailinglist has to have that.

Yes, was XOOPS start small and with time is good system CMS

Quote:

I wouldn't mind giving Xmail another test drive, but there's no decent english translation, lots of language vars are missing, and it seems that it don't like the XOOPS 2.2.x series. which I prefer to use ...
Last bersion I tried (v2.0 from, Release Date: 18 Mar?o 2005) had problems importing 2600 users and some white screens ...

I look your test drive. Reality is bad test, sorry.
Xmail is good module for me.
Thanks.

andycleff
  • 2006/3/27 13:04

• andycleff

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
Ps: New version Xmail in andament, working in XOOPS 2.0.13.2.

Where can we download the latest version of Xmail?

Even beta of 2.5 would be fine for review.
Andy Cleff
Ampersand Design, Inc
Doylestown, PA
-----
Helping our clients bring great ideas into shape through integrated marketing, creative branding, print and web strategy, online learning and e-commerce.

www.ampersandesign.net

andycleff
  • 2006/4/5 18:58

• andycleff

• Not too shy to talk

I have a first draft of a features list for the newsletter module.

I'm going to review it with Marcan to see what might be problematic from a programming point of view, then will post it for public review and comment

But one big question that came into view during the development of the features list, is:

Why try to make this an address/contact manager as well as a newsletter module? Then one ends up with at least two lists of contacts - the XOOPS registered users list, plus the newsletter module list. Then you have to constantly reconcile the two, or be checking for duplicates etc.

Why not make the newsletter module work with the existing (or maybe expanded) membership module? That way: all the contact info will be centralized; users can manage their subscriptions much like they manage "notifications"

I know the existing 2.0.13 standard membership module is limited in the ability to easily add custom fields, etc, but there is an alternate membership module -https://xoops.org/modules/repository/singlefile.php?cid=101&lid=1488 - that (with a bit of clean up) could be useful. I am not familiar with 2.2.x's membership capabilities.

Am I missing something here?
Andy Cleff
Ampersand Design, Inc
Doylestown, PA
-----

www.ampersandesign.net

Login

Who's Online

185 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 185

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits