McNaz
xProject - Open Source Project Management
  • 2006/3/8 14:54

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Greetings to all XOOPS module developers.

I'd like to announce a sneak preview of xProject, a XOOPS module that is aimed at module developers specifically and software development generally.

The key motivation behind the development of xProject is:

1. Collaborative software development.

2. Transparency in development. with xProject you can see all tickets, milestones and the roadmap as it evolves during software development lifecyles.

3. Donations! That is a large motivation for me. with xProject (once donations support is added) module developers will be able to assign a donation target against certain tickets, which can then produce milestone donation level targets.

4. Source control integration. I plan to integrate xProject with SubVersion, which when done will make one awesome CRM module for Xoops.

Please drop by the xProject website and give the site a whirl.

If you do have any ideas then please register and create a wish ticket and give the site a whirl.

I plan to release this module when milestone 0.1 is reached. Keep an eye on the roadmap page for live progress.

Have fun and look foward to your ideas and suggestions.

Cheers.

McNaz.

Lance_
Re: xProject - Open Source Project Management
  • 2006/3/8 16:07

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Hey McNaz,

Very nice so far.

I am wondering on a couple of points.

1. Is the module set to operate only one project?

2. If so, then will the ability to clone the module be available.

The method I would like to use it is to create separate project areas for each of my customers, so they can requests tasks/projects for them, then be assigned to a dev.

I like phpcollab a lot in this regard, with the main area for admins and coders and the individual project pages for the customers.

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

stefan88
  • 2006/3/8 18:50

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Quote:
The method I would like to use it is to create separate project areas for each of my customers

And moving the idea further, will it be possible to have some kind of project templates (you create them once and fill with tasks for example) and when you create a project, choose a template for that project.

For example, you have new client for web service, so you create project for him that will have:
-domain registration;
-hosting;
-web site design;
This is just to ilustrate the idea ...

Maybe option to link each project (client) with forum (or/and FAQ) could be usefull...

McNaz
  • 2006/3/8 19:48

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

Hi Lance.

Quote:

1. Is the module set to operate only one project?

Absolutely not! .

I've got multi-project support in mind with each project having its own mlestones, versions, tickets, downloads, summary and Subversion repository.

I am planning to do advanced XOOPS permissions on xProject so that you can assign which groups get access to certain areas (ie downloads, documentation etc).

I don't see a reason why permissions cannot get extended to projects as well.

I can create a ticket for you on www.xproject.co.uk to this effect or you can do it yourself .

Cheers.

McNaz.

McNaz
  • 2006/3/8 22:53

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

Quote:
And moving the idea further, will it be possible to have some kind of project templates (you create them once and fill with tasks for example) and when you create a project, choose a template for that project.

For example, you have new client for web service, so you create project for him that will have:
-domain registration;
-hosting;
-web site design;

Adding ticket templates, which can then be assigned to any project is a great idea!

I will add it as a ticket (unless you beat me to it by registering on www.xproject.co.uk and adding it yourself that way you will receive notifications when there are updates etc...).

Quote:
Maybe option to link each project (client) with forum (or/and FAQ) could be useful...

Absolutely.

Thank you for the excellent suggestions.

Cheers.

McNaz.

Lance_
  • 2006/3/9 0:40

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Great stuff.

I knew if I prayed hard and long enough, this module would see the light. (a year and a half of praying)

The subversion part is sexxy!!

GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

kiang
  • 2006/3/9 2:49

• kiang

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/9/2 1

It looks like Trac:
http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/

Great job!
Resized Image

McNaz
  • 2006/3/9 10:35

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

Quote:
It looks like Trac:
http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/

You are right. it does . When I found Trac I loved the concept but did not like the fact that you needed Python to get it running nor the fact it was on SQLLite (plus a few other bits like single project etc...).

So I took the same concept and decided to make it into a XOOPS module because there wasn't anything that fitted my needs (Trac included).

I must stress that no Trac source code was harmed in the product of xProject (not that I want to learn Python yet).

Cheers.

McNaz

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 160

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits