martyboy
Re: Community Module
  • 2006/3/4 13:34

• martyboy

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/25

There seems to be an awful lot of people looking for this tye of module, including myself. A myspace type module where members can have there own page, like there own mini-site would be great for any community.

If you look at the xfmod in dev XOOPS it can make url's with project names xfmod/project/?news, etc

Perhaps some sort of hacked content module could do the trick?

I noticed on the module dev site there is a xmyspace module unfortunatley the project seems to be dead now, I have tried contacting the developer via PM but have had no reply. http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/?xmyspace

If someone could get hold of the developer and get a copy of the one he was working on, I assume he had an early version, as it says that it is working well under testing, perhaps this would be a good start for someone to complete the module or develope something different based on it.

Heres hoping.
Michael Jackson = King Of Pop

Xoops = King Of CMS

patagon
  • 2006/3/4 17:20

• patagon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/1/8 0

if I understood it correctly this could be two things. one would be a way of rewriting urls so that I can access my profile (for example) as xoops.org/patagon. I've been following a thread on modrewrite and it seems this could be possible. another would be a page similar to myspace profiles. I personally like the way profiles work now, but it would be great to have the option of users entering more info on a page (and have both/the option). I am not a programmer so I cant do any of this, but I hope someone witht the right knowledge gets interested and this becomes an option for us webmasters...

davidl2
  • 2006/3/6 14:35

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Profiles where enhanced further on XOOPS 2.2 (and this feature will re-appear I believe in 2.4?) - but also Monty has released a hack for profiles - which if memory is correct may have a 2.0 version as well.

A mod rewrite would be nice for profile details - but i'm still unsure exactly what people want from a community module?

csbjerke
  • 2006/3/6 14:58

• csbjerke

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/13

i believe, as i have writen before, that if you extend the possibilities of the profile module, so that you can add information as you'd like, and also have the possibility of adding photos, then the looks of it can be modded personally by the HTML file.

Personally i am looking for something like the profiles in
whereareyou.

a possibility of adding your photo, and a map of where in the world you are. etc..

csbjerke
  • 2006/3/6 14:59

• csbjerke

• Just popping in

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
My own suggestion would be break down what is actually required of this module first... then to see if anyone is able & willing to develop the module ... ideally for free?

Lots of ideas on this one.. just keep me updated or msn me on christopher@ilovemybed.com

Kumonryu_Kid

A good place to butt in...

I'm very interested a module to give Users their own pages within XOOPS. For me, This would ideally contain:

User and profile information visible only to selected groups.

General free text area for user to put in details about themselves

Upload photos - Linked to Image Gallery (e.g. XOOPSGallery, Coppermine) to give a list of the persons phot contributions

Links to News Items and Articles that the user has contributed. Links so that User can easily create an article for his home page (e.g. my house, my cat, my whatever...) that is then also deposited into the articles section.

Area for user to add their web links

Integration into ImageManager / Text editor so that user can simply insert links to their details/images/articles into whatever they are submitting at that moment.

This could then - for me - be neatly wrapped up by combining the extended profiles with links to other installed modules on the site. This could make coding of it a lot easier?

Just my 2p, hope it is of use,

Gareth
Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

davidl2
  • 2006/3/6 16:05

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

So basically something like a cross between Solo's MyPage and a super customised profile page - but with cross links (like plugins) to other modules - in much the same way that Magazine can link to other modules?

csbjerke
  • 2006/3/7 0:03

• csbjerke

• Just popping in

While we are waiting for a good community module,
does anyone know how to add an option, so that i can have and "upload file" option in addition to the "text area" etc in the extended profile module?

And also how to hack the HTML file so that all photos are shown in a colomn on the right.
I guess that i can have these photos in a different catgory, but how to make sure that this category is then projected in a coloumn on the right???

Kumonryu_Kid

David,

Ideally yes. I guess it would involve a lot closer integration between the modules than currently exists.

However, I can't find anything else on MyPage (though I am investigating MyHome from the Repository). Can you point me at some more information please?

Thanks,
Gareth
Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

davidl2
  • 2006/3/7 9:16

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

I don't think "MyPage" will do this as it stands.. but I was using this as an example.

I'm unsure exactly what people want here - as this thread is a very mixed jumble of ideas... but here's what I would imagine.

1 - The module acts as a personal landing page... user logs in, they see this page as their main home page

2 - User can use it to select links to popular areas of a site they want to see

3 - User can use it as an enhanced profile - picture, details about themselves, etc

4 - what else?

(PS: I'm not a coder - just trying to find out what people want in case someone does want to tackle this!)

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits