Peekay
DNS and Plesk on a VPS
  • 2006/2/11 17:02

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I have just signed up for a VPS hosting account and I registered the first domain for use on it through my registrar 123-Reg. They automatically place the domain on their nameserver(s):

ns.123-reg.co.uk
ns1.123-reg.co.uk

I changed the domain's 'A' records to point to the IP address of my VPS via the 123-Reg control panel and it works fine. However, I can see that Plesk automatically creates DNS entries for me when I add a new client domain.

How do I get the settings in Plesk to be the ones that affect the DNS? At present, only changes made via 123-Reg work.

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I haven't had any DNS controls before so I'm a bit confused by suddenly having two lots of them!

I have posted this at jdseymour's VPS User Group on Yahoo! Groups, but wondered if any seasoned Plesk users here could help.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

seventhseal
Re: DNS and Plesk on a VPS

I am a Plesk reseller.

Your settings will be in your control panel for DNS.

DNS Templates : However, if you are a site only (domain) you can't control this. It has to be done by the client (reseller) or the server admin for PLESK.

Your setup : That being said, you should have full control of your DNS through the DNS icon on the Plesk desktop.

Good Luck.
John Horne - a.k.a. - VelocityWebDev, Seventhseal, CreepingDeath
VelocityWebDev Tech BLOG
VelocityWebHost Hosting and Design

Peekay
  • 2006/2/12 12:44

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Thx seventhseal.

It appears I have two choices. If the domain stays hosted on the registrar's nameservers, (in my case ns.123-Reg.co.uk) the DNS settings made via the 123-Reg control panel have authorisation. The DNS settings set up by Plesk for each new domain are ignored. This works perfectly well, but I have to change or add 'A' and 'MX' records manually via 123-Reg.

If I want to control DNS from within Plesk, I have to enable my own nameservers on the VPS (e.g. ns1.myvps.com, ns2.myvps.com) and modify the Plesk DNS template to specify these servers whenever I select 'add a domain' in Plesk.

Then I just need to point all newly registered domains to my nameservers in the 123-Reg control panel.

Problem now is, I can't decide which method is best!. If I want to set up my own nameservers I should buy two additional IP addresses for the VPS, so other than having my server domain name shows up in WHOIS rather than 123-Reg, I'm not sure if there are any benefits?

Feneex
  • 2006/2/12 12:57

• Feneex

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/25

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
Thx seventhseal.

It appears I have two choices. If the domain stays hosted on the registrar's nameservers, (in my case ns.123-Reg.co.uk) the DNS settings made via the 123-Reg control panel have authorisation. The DNS settings set up by Plesk for each new domain are ignored. This works perfectly well, but I have to change or add 'A' and 'MX' records manually via 123-Reg.

If I want to control DNS from within Plesk, I have to enable my own nameservers on the VPS (e.g. ns1.myvps.com, ns2.myvps.com) and modify the Plesk DNS template to specify these servers whenever I select 'add a domain' in Plesk.

Then I just need to point all newly registered domains to my nameservers in the 123-Reg control panel.

Problem now is, I can't decide which method is best!. If I want to set up my own nameservers I should buy two additional IP addresses for the VPS, so other than having my server domain name shows up in WHOIS rather than 123-Reg, I'm not sure if there are any benefits?

The method you select in real life does not matter much. If you are not in the hosting biz or are not hosting many domains, I suggest you stay with your registrar dns servers. If it worx - don't fix it

Peekay
  • 2006/2/13 16:50

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Thx feneex.

I have actually now set up the default DNS tmplate in Plesk to automatically specify 'ns1.myvps.com' and 'ns2.myvps.com' as I add new domains. As long as I use the 123-Reg nameservers, these settings are ignored anyway. However the domain's DNS in Plesk is pre-configured if I later decide to switch to my own nameservers.

Still waiting for the price of an IP address from the host!

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits