msdana
phpmail problems...odd or maybe not
  • 2006/1/29 3:42

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

I have searched this problem until my eyes are almost crossed, so if this problem has been posted AND solved, my apologies. I recently had to change servers and that's when the problem started, it worked fine on the other server.

I'm using the PHPmail option for emails. My new users receive the activation email, but I (as admin) do not receive the confirmation email. Also, when trying to send an email, I receive "cannot instantiate mail()" error.

Where do I start troubleshooting this problem? In my XOOPS program or my server?

Thanks in advance.

---------------
XOOPS Version: XOOPS 2.2.4
PHP Version: 4.4.2
MySQL Version: 4.1.9-max
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

jdseymour
Re: phpmail problems...odd or maybe not

Check your SMTP server configuration in Preferences - Mail Settings.

msdana
  • 2006/1/29 22:03

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

Thanks, but that didn't work

If I'm using PHP mail, do I need the path to sendmail? And, do I need the username and password for SMTPAuth?

Sorry, but this is new territory!
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]

jdseymour

If I have problems with PHPmail like my current host, I try the other options. Yes you will need the path to sendmail (if that is the mail server you are using) and I always use a username and password for e-mail accounts. Just habit for me.

msdana
  • 2006/1/29 22:33

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

I am totally missing the boat on this one. So to clarify, when I have PHP mail() selected, I need to put in the sendmail path AND the SMTP server. Also putting the SMTPAuth username and password is fine too?

How can I be certain that my sendmail path is correct?

I just can't grasp the problem of how the activation link is sent, but no other emails can be sent.

This is driving me crazy considering that it worked fine on the old server

jdseymour

Are the e-mails to yourself sent to you@yourdomain.com? Or to an external address? Your host can check the mail logs to see what kind of error you are getting.

msdana
  • 2006/1/29 22:50

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

I'm not getting any emails. The activation emails to new users are being received, but I'm not receiving the new user registration emails, and the other email areas are not working (could not instantiate mail).

Now, if we use the SMTP option, the activation emails won't go to a "yahoo.com" address, but I do get the new user registration emails.

I'll see if I can locate the mail logs.

Login

Who's Online

429 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 429

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits