tom
Directory module on Dev.xoops.org
  • 2006/1/25 5:07

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

is the forge on dev.xoops kept up to date?

I tryed to download the MX-directory module to test it out and got the following error:

The requested URL /dl/mx-directory/5 - Beta and RC Releases/ mx-directory BETA v2.0/XOOPS2_mod_mx-directory.zip was not found on this server.

The developer from of the old directory module seems to have stoped production now. (xdirectory)

And the good ole XOOPS community seemed to have scared off a developer for another directy module, because he wanted to charge a little cash, which in my opinion was his right to charge:

https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?com_mode=flat&com_order=0&storyid=1569

This is the guys website you used to be able to buy the module from before XOOPS members scared this professional developer off:

http://www.paglasoft.com/

He still does the script for a nuke site though.

davidl2
Re: Directory module on Dev.xoops.org
  • 2006/1/25 9:27

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Sadly some people are very vocal about the "cash for modules" issue. And there is a lot of confusion over what is, and isn't, allowed over this.

It is a great shame indeed - but I hope that the author would be willing to allow the nuke versions to be ported over if anyone wanted to do so.

tom
  • 2006/1/25 10:11

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Hey David,

Good to see your still here at Xoops.

It is a great shame, I thought XOOPS was trying to bring in talent not scare them away, I've seen tons of modules for other CMS, and some of them charge, but people don't go to the point of scaring them away there.

If a person needs it they can pay for it, if they dont need it, well then they should just keep there mouth shut.

I was the one whom contacted this guy for the yellowpages module first, and told him how XOOPS was a great community, well that back fired in my face didn't it, what a fool I looked, just because some little idiot doesn't like the idea of someone having to make a living and make ends meet.

I don't mind getting my wallet out to pay for something I want or need.

Some CMS, have paid projects and work closely with developers to make a module they want to thier spec, and paid for, I don't see anything like that here, why, because XOOPS scares them away.

David in reply to the nuke version, it's based on the same script and he still charges $30 for that, but you can no longer get the XOOPS version, he only supports other CMS and standalone version thanks to people at xoops.

davidl2
  • 2006/1/25 10:24

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

It's such a "hot potato" - paid scripts...

I'll be totally honest here, I don't understand exactly how things work in regards to licensing and payment in regards to open source... and all the gpl, etc info makes my head spin...

However, I think that if people are willing to write code and sell it, and people are willing to pay for it - who's losing out? If people don't want it - they don't pay for it surely?

There was another project a while ago, where the person responsible gave people who donated the access to the module before it's public release (sorry I can't recall who - old age i'm afraid!) and there was a lot of hassle over this.

I'll probably get a load of people moaning about this - but what else is new?

davidl2
  • 2006/1/25 10:25

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

PS: This is my view only - nothing official, etc etc etc. Trouble with being a moderator - some people always assume you speak "officially" when you speak

tom
  • 2006/1/25 11:08

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

I believe it was AMS.

Yet another example of XOOPS members, presenting the community and scaring good developers away. the module was quiet promising from what I remember.

I think AMS was while I was away, I kept poping back to see how things were or wasn't going.

Login

Who's Online

173 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 173

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits