mlw4428
Two questions
  • 2006/1/6 18:53

• mlw4428

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/2 2

1) How can I allow unregistered users to view the forums and not post in them?

2) I want to make some parts of the forum "hidden." By that I mean I have a couple of sections, one for staff, one for moderators. I need to allow staff to see all sections and moderators to see only theirs. Also regular users shouldn't be able to see any of these. How would I do this?

davidl2
Re: Two questions
  • 2006/1/6 18:59

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

You'll definately be able to do this easily in CBB.

Just assign view,and no posting, permissions to anonymous users. Likewise - if you make the forums you want to be invisble only visible to certain XOOPS groups - then you'll be able to hide them.

jdseymour

Question #1: Just give anonymous users access to the forum module in groups first. Then give them access to the categories you want them to be able to view. Next give them access and view permissions only in each forum you want them to be able to see.

Question #2: You would do this with custom groups. Create a group for staff and moderators, and give each of these groups access only to the selected forums, no access for anonymous or registered users, just for the custom group and webmasters. Do not for get to add the users to their respective custom group.

mlw4428
  • 2006/1/6 19:15

• mlw4428

• Just popping in

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:

Question #2: You would do this with custom groups. Create a group for staff and moderators, and give each of these groups access only to the selected forums, no access for anonymous or registered users, just for the custom group and webmasters. Do not for get to add the users to their respective custom group.

I did that, what I want to do however is that if a regular user views the forums they can't see the unaccessible forums.

*Edit*
Let me clarify that by not be able to see is that to that user that part of the forums isn't displayed. For example:

STAFF SEE:
-----------------------------
Section for all users
Forum A
--------
Forum B

Section for staff
Forum A
-------
Forum B

=============================================================

USERS SEE:
------------------------
Section for all users
------------------------
Forum A
-------
Forum B

And that's be it.

davidl2
  • 2006/1/6 19:18

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

In that case, create a new group - and only allow this group access to your forum.

mlw4428
  • 2006/1/6 19:20

• mlw4428

• Just popping in

I can do the access thing...but what I really want to do is make some parts of my forum invisible to regular users.

davidl2
  • 2006/1/6 19:20

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

I see what you mean

I'll look into this and reply as soon as I can for you.

mlw4428
  • 2006/1/6 19:21

• mlw4428

• Just popping in

Thank you very much!

jdseymour

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
I see what you mean

I'll look into this and reply as soon as I can for you.

If you do not give registered users access to the category that the forums are contained in, I do believe they will not be viewed.

mlw4428
  • 2006/1/6 19:28

• mlw4428

• Just popping in

By not viewing I'm saying that they don't even know that it exists. It's invisible to them.

Instead of clicking of the forum that they don't have access to and seeing a "cannot be displayed because you don't have access" type of message coming up...they don't see it, it's like the rest of the forums aren't displayed to them. As of right now they can see the parts of the forums they don't access to, they just can't see the topics inside them.

Login

Who's Online

301 user(s) are online (241 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 301

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits