gumleaf
Please Explain .. Am I Stupid?
  • 2005/12/27 23:07

• gumleaf

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/27

Can someone explain the following Forum Option.

"Allow requiring reply to read a post

This feature forces readers to reply to the original posters post before being able to read the original"

Maybe I'm stupid .. or missing something here .. but how can you reply to a post BEFORE you have read it. (Apart from being clairvoyant)

??????

Will_H
Re: Please Explain .. Am I Stupid?
  • 2005/12/27 23:10

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

LMAO - Ya i never really understood that feature myself. The only possible use i could imagine, would be for forum games.

alitan
  • 2005/12/27 23:12

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

I think, it does not include the first post, so that people will not get ideas from other people's posts before they post something. This prevents the communication between two people in the forum I think.
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

gumleaf
  • 2005/12/28 7:24

• gumleaf

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/27

If thats really the case .. then the sentence needs a major overhaul as the "first post" is the "original post".. which you cant read till you have replied to it.

As for preventing people comminicating in a forum goes .. wow!
Thats what I thought a forum was for .. communicating.The best way to stop them communicating would be to remove the forum module! ... joking!

Mmmm .. I think I'll enable it and see what it really does.

gruessle
  • 2005/12/28 7:31

• gruessle

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/20

Let us know
Grüssle

http://www.vmclinks.com

stefan88
  • 2005/12/28 7:48

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

In some forums you could hide part of the post with [hide] ... [/hide] tag and then only that part will not be visible without reply

What forum are you using?

Lance_
  • 2005/12/28 13:20

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

This type of feature can be used to hide a download link to something that only those that reply will have access to. Has been used in the w.arez community. It's a long standing feature that gets less used with the developements of other methods. But some people are comfortable with what they already know.

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

gediminasbyt

Wouldn't this feature best used in school? Professor/teacher gives everyone a main topic and everyone has to give/write their ideas on that topic. Since you can not read what other classmates write till you reply all answers are more unique and there is no copycat who gets ideas from other peoples posts.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gediminas

defwind77
  • 2005/12/28 17:50

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/11

yep it's used at universities too - it's dead handy - every student has a sign in name and the professor sets a question - eg 'work out the square root of 523415 using your fingers' and then tells them they can post anything eg 'I give in' and it'll show the answer/provide hints etc...

There's lots of uses when you think of it - you can essentially keep track of everyone who can see your messages and let guest users see a certain amount of a post without seeing too much or the answers...

Login

Who's Online

254 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 254

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits