Jyotirmaya
Picking up windows environment variables in PHP
  • 2005/12/20 11:20

• Jyotirmaya

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/2/10

I would like to know whether there is any way to pick up the windows environment variables (eg %username%) in PHP. I believe it is possible in asp, but not sure about PHP (I use a LAMPP setup)

I am using the ldap authentication tool to authenticate users against active directory 2003 (using XOOPS 2.2). I would like to move towards a true single sign-on environment, where XOOPS automatically picks up the username and (hopefully!)password of the user currently logged in to the windows workstation (currently all my users are on windows).

I would also like to use this to design a "Call me!" support button that would submit a support email and tell me who the user was (%username%) just by them pressing a button.

Anybody have any takes on this please.
"You are never alone or helpless, the force that guides the stars guides you too"

davidthomas1
Re: Picking up windows environment variables in PHP

You might want to look at this open-source PHP extension for building windows apps

WinBinder

from the website:

WinBinder takes advantage of the relatively new CLI SAPI (Command Line Interface / Server Application Programming Interface) that was officially introduced in PHP 4.3.0. A custom-made DLL (a Windows library) extends PHP so it is possible to use the language to build a Windows development platform. The library includes code to manage windows, controls, messages, timers, the registry, GDI (Windows' Graphics Device Interface) and more. A set of low-level functions allows the programmer to access any Windows function, declare structures and access memory directly.

HIH
みんなちがってみんないい。

XOOPS 2.0.13.2

Jyotirmaya
  • 2005/12/20 14:23

• Jyotirmaya

• Not too shy to talk

Not sure if I understand it correctly, but I think winbinder would need a particular DLL installed on each client machine.

I would like to keep XOOPS strictly browser based (I don't really fancy having to download a dll onto each client before they can use the functionality - seems like some security issues with that)
"You are never alone or helpless, the force that guides the stars guides you too"

Jyotirmaya
  • 2005/12/20 14:42

• Jyotirmaya

• Not too shy to talk

Anybody have any experience using this:-
print_r($_SERVER)
=====================
Or I found a reference to shell_exec, something like this:-.
<?php
$blah = shell_exec ("echo %ComputerName%");
print $blah;
?>
================
Also found a reference to the GETENV command (use with remote_user ?)
http://uk.php.net/getenv
=======================
Anybody know which of these might be best to use and how to implement to populate the login form (user.php)

Dave_L
  • 2005/12/20 14:59

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

shell_exec ("echo %ComputerName%") executes on the server, not the client, so it's not going to obtain the workstation's environment.

Similarly, $_SERVER contains info provided by the server, which includes information provided by the client's browser.

I don't think the kind of info you want is obtainable solely by PHP. You'll need some sort of client-side scripting. And client-side scripting typically won't provide the info you want (Windows username and password), because that's very insecure.

Jyotirmaya
  • 2005/12/20 15:16

• Jyotirmaya

• Not too shy to talk

hmmmmmm,

would it then be correct to say that because PHP runs all its scripts server side that this cannot be done in PHP?

Should I look at something maybe in JSP (security issues aside) that can pass these variables over to PHP somehow?

Perhaps it is possible to get a batch script to pass the environment variables onto (what?) that PHP could pick up on - I have an active directory environment where I could use policies to run batch scripts as part of the logon process....

Dave_L
  • 2005/12/20 15:23

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Maybe. I don't know anything about JSP.

But I don't see how you're going to accomplish this without adding "something" to the clients: a .dll, a browser extension, active scripting, etc.

Jyotirmaya
  • 2005/12/20 17:40

• Jyotirmaya

• Not too shy to talk

You may be right.
I did find a way to do it if you are running IIS and have anonymous access turned off:-
http://www.phpbuilder.com/lists/php-general/2003012/0972.php

But irrelevant for me since I run Apache.

davidthomas1

You want the clients username to autolog them into XOOPS?

If you can implement policies on your network,

You could store a cookie on each client computer with an id and their username in it.

Use an Auto-Login hack, check the cookie and there's your auto-logged in clients.
みんなちがってみんないい。

XOOPS 2.0.13.2

Jyotirmaya
  • 2005/12/21 10:53

• Jyotirmaya

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks DT,

this sounds like the most do-able solution. Will need to research how to create the cookie with policies, but have been using the autologin hack on a few sites and it works well.

Only one problem, autologin doesn't work with LDAP authentication, but I believe the Pierre-Eric who wrote the LDAP authentication code is working on this.

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits