jayfenster
memory exhausted on front page of Weblinks module
  • 2005/11/30 18:18

• jayfenster

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/25

Hello all,

I am getting the following error message on the main page of the Weblinks module:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 48 bytes) in /home/httpd/vhosts/swina.com/httpdocs/class/xoopsform/formdhtmltextarea.php on line 91

I don't get it on any of the other pages in the module.

Any idea how I'd go about fixing this?

pdajunkee
Re: memory exhausted on front page of Weblinks module
  • 2005/12/6 9:04

• pdajunkee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/3 2

I'm getting a similar error, see my previous post:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted

I've still trying to find more info on this, but have been unsuccessful.

with PHPDebugmode on I get:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 11520 bytes) in /var/www/juniper/forum/modules/mantis/core/category_api.php on line 40

When I go to:

http://www.sitename.com/forum/userinfo.php?uid=1

or any member page.

I've tried removing mantis from my system, thinking that it was causing the error. But the error just moves to the next module I have installed, e.g. SmartFAQ.

I've discussed this with my web host, webserve.ca. And they say that this page looks fine from their end.

I've tried this on four different computers with different settings, different locations and different firewalls. I get the same error in Internet Explorer 6.0 and Mozilla Firefox 1.5.

Sorry, I don't know PHP version, or any other version details of the server I am using. If you have any suggestions on how I can find this, I'll post that info here.

I'm looking for any suggestions, help. Or suggested questions/requests to send to my webhost.

tzvook
  • 2005/12/6 11:28

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Quote:

pdajunkee wrote:
I'm getting a similar error, see my previous post:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted

I've still trying to find more info on this, but have been unsuccessful.

It's quite comon on XOOPS sites with a reasnable amount of users (500 and above) .... especially when you try (or your moule tries) to deal with all users or list them....
In the 2.2.x series there's less problems with itdue to some workarounds (though it's not solved yet).

The problem lies @ your php.ini in the section of your php scripts execution time and memory limits ( IE: XOOPS uses too much memory and/or is doing it too long ..... more then your php.ini alows it to do... )

Solutions: well, there are some partly solutions to ease those massages:

1. if you want/can edit your php.ini to highyer numbers out there ... but read about it some b4 you do it.
2. get XOOPS 2.2.x where there are less problems with it.

tzvook
  • 2005/12/6 11:33

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

just saw your "other" massage, so you know the php.ini issue

one thing to add is that most of the times you can edit the php.ini also on shared servers (virtual servers) ...

pdajunkee
  • 2005/12/6 17:49

• pdajunkee

• Just popping in

Thanks for the info tzvook!

I'll try to see if I can find/edit the php.ini file. I'll give an update later on today.

pdajunkee
  • 2005/12/9 7:21

• pdajunkee

• Just popping in

FIXED!

Thanks again for your help. The solution was to find my PHP.INI file and increase the memory allocation from 8M to 12M.

For anyone else, that encountered this problem here's my solution. Remember I'm not an expert and only fixed it through trial and error. If anyone sees any problems with this solution, please let me know.

I found my php.ini file by creating and uploading a file called show_php_info.php. This file contains the one simple command:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Upload this file to your site and then open up the file. If you upload it to the root of your website, you would just open the url:

http:// yourwebsite.com/show_php_info.php

You'll get a nice long report showing all the settings on your web server. I found out my web host is using PHP version 4.3.10 by doing this. Do a search for "php.ini" and you will find the folder on your server where this file is stored.

Fire up your ftp application again and change to the folder where the php.ini file is.

Download php.ini to your local machine.

Use a text editor to edit the php.ini (I am a huge fan of Notepad++, a free text editor).

Search for the text "memory_limit". In my case I found:

memory_limit 8M ;Maximum amount of memory a script my consume (8MB)

I changed this to:

memory_limit 12M ;Maximum amount of memory a script my consume (8MB)

I uploaded my updated php.ini back up to the server and overwrote the existing file.

And that's it... I thought I would have to figure out how to restart the server (I doubt I can do it). But it fixed the problem immediately.

Good luck, let me know if it works for you!

TottoBG
php info
  • 2005/12/9 16:10

• TottoBG

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/8/18

Hi, pdajunkee. The XoopsInfo module shows all the return content of the phpinfo() function, so it's better to install it and look at it there in your site administration than to upload a show_php_info.php file to your server, cause it shows out so much server information and at the same time could be accessed by people from outside.

tzvook
Re: php info
  • 2005/12/10 7:56

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

TottoBG wrote:
Hi, pdajunkee. The XoopsInfo module shows all the return content of the phpinfo() function, so it's better to install it and look at it there in your site administration than to upload a show_php_info.php file to your server, cause it shows out so much server information and at the same time could be accessed by people from outside.

You simply need to delete the " show_php_info.php' file after you found what you looked for .... to be on the safe side ...

TottoBG
Re: php info
  • 2005/12/10 18:09

• TottoBG

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/8/18

Quote:

tzvook wrote:
Quote:

TottoBG wrote:

You simply need to delete the " show_php_info.php' file after you found what you looked for .... to be on the safe side ...

Yes, but it's some kind of inconvenience as you have to upload it each time you need to check sth and then delete it. In this place, it was the purpose of XoopsInfo module - to give you all the information you need as an administrator from the admin interface. But anyway, not such a "problem" it is Anyone chooses himself.

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits