allnewtome
Possible to pre-set Notification options for Every user?
  • 2005/12/6 20:41

• allnewtome

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/30

XOOPS Version: 2.2.3
Module Name/Version: sytem
PHP Version: 4.3.5
MySQL Version: 4.0.11a-gamma
Web Server Software (Apache/IIS/Other): Apache
Operating System: Linux

I would like to have an "Announcements" forum where only certain users can post, but ALL users get emailed the posts.

(I know I could use the "email user" function, but I would like to have a record of all announcements on the website. Are there any other alternatives?)

I see that the table xoops_xoopsnotifications has an entry for each notification. I know what I would like the table to contain (for each user: not_modid=4, not_itemid=6, not_category=forum, not_event=new_fullpost, not_mode=0) Am I right that not_mode is "via email" when set to 0?

I've also noticed that there are functions "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" which get called in notification_update.php when a user changed his notifications, and which add/remove notifications from the table.

I imagine it wouldn't be terribly hard to do a PHP script:
for each user in database {
subscribe(forum 6 full_post etc)
}
(or maybe there's a way of using SQL)

OR maybe a row could be inserted in the table when a user is created?

BUT...... I'm scared of messing it up! Has anyone done this before?

I'd appreciate any help! Tell me if you need more information. Thank you.

Arowana
Re: Possible to pre-set Notification options for Every user?
  • 2005/12/6 20:46

• Arowana

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/8/6 2

You would have to set the default for all users to be able to read the forum, and notify them.

Otherwise use the mail form, make sure you are on that list then post it in the forum manually
Arowana

allnewtome
  • 2005/12/6 23:13

• allnewtome

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/30

Thank you very much for your swift response.

Quote:

Arowana wrote:
You would have to set the default for all users to be able to read the forum, and notify them.

Do you mean
- Emailing users saying "There is an Announcement forum - please change your notification options" or
- Changing their notification options (if so, how??)

Quote:
Otherwise use the mail form, make sure you are on that list then post it in the forum manually

Yes, an easier solution (to be honest, I will probably do that , even though it's not quite as elegant!)

Again, thank you for your help.

(Edited to remove my last question, to put it in a new thread.)

Rickb
  • 2005/12/7 15:39

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/24

Dear Allnewtome,

A word on Notifications -

This function you request of having the ability to set notifications within the Admin panel I think is needed and also a more eloquent subscription method is needed ( using version 2.0x). Notifications (if any geek or core developer has ever taken the time to test out on the general public) it difficult for users new to XOOPS to set correctly. Let us not reinvent the wheel, this solution has already been done in other CMS products "Subscribe or Unsubscribe." This should not be hidden away. How many times have you had to tell others to go to Forum Opitons and set notifications? Then after they get there, they still set it incorrectly. Just read the options - they are just confusing.

The admin should be able to set notification for Group, by Topic and /or by manually modifying the user's preferences on forum notifications. If you were to do that now you would need to re-assign a new password. Sending out by mass emailing is not at all going to secure that all are being set to be notified. When a post is imperative to be read, the emailing campaign is not adequate.

Regards,

Rick

Login

Who's Online

146 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 146

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits