defwind77
what news module is used on xoops.org homepage?
  • 2005/11/24 15:59

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/11

Ok go to xoops.org frontpage and look at the news module that is running there. See it has four sections - Xoops, Modules, Themes and YAXS - each topic has a few recent articles and a little image to the left of the group - can anyone tell me what module was used to achieve this?

I'd like exactly the same effect, however every module I try is either buggy (the developers words not mine!) or can't do it - yet some module must be able to because the flippin homepage for XOOPS is doing it!

JMorris
Re: what news module is used on xoops.org homepage?
  • 2005/11/24 16:08

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

What you are seeing is actually a highly customized version of the Spotlight module. Unfortunately, this has not been officially released. If you are a coder, you can hack the Spotlight module to give you the same effect.

You may want to search the site. This topic has been brought up numerous times.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Fastian
  • 2005/11/24 16:16

• Fastian

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/6/6 0

Quote:
You may want to search the site. This topic has been brought up numerous times.

Yes. But still no DEV seems to be interested to give the details of this "High Customization".

Whats the big secret in it anyway ???
No one seem to have its answer.
I m not a Programmer
BUT
I m a Good Learner

JMorris
  • 2005/11/24 16:21

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

If I were a Dev, I'd give you an answer. Since I'm a complete PHP n00b, I wouldn't have a clue how they did it. Believe me, I'm just as curious as everyone else.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

defwind77
  • 2005/11/24 17:20

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

seems daft to keep it so closely guarded when other CMS software are offering this willy-nilly!

Word is though the US-Government doesn't want us to know about the DEVS - apparently they can do other stuff too, like utilise a second set of eyelids to blink horizontally and they can slow their heartbeat to under one beat every two minutes...

davidl2
  • 2005/11/24 17:22

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Who said it was closely guarded? I expect it is simply as the code may not be friendly for end users to use....

defwind77
  • 2005/11/24 17:24

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

hmm ok well I'm using the spotlight mod and I can see how I could stretch it to work in a similar fashion - does anyone know how I can set the 'spotlight' article to only display the first X characters of an article, rather than the full sha-bang as it does at the moment?

carnuke
  • 2005/11/24 17:25

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

somewhere in the deep vaults of this forum someone has asked this question before (x xx)and there was a useable answer. needs a careful search

http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

defwind77
  • 2005/11/24 20:23

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

well I've had a hunt and I can't find anything explaining how to do it - can anyone else?

There's a golden ticket in that post that'll get you into Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory...or not.

Login

Who's Online

161 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 161

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits