lucidlee
ERROR: Could not connect to the forums database.
  • 2005/11/10 23:40

• lucidlee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/21

I'm mystified by this error message. I have three categories, each with empty forums. From the index page I can't connect to an empty forum let alone attempt to create a topic. This is regardless of my user group or whether I am a moderator. Even as webmaster I can't connect.

On one forum the moderator has somehow managed to create a topic and I can transfer to that and from there I can create new topics or reply to the existing one. Other than that I'm locked out.

I notice from another thread about a similar problem that template corruption may be an issue but it remains after I rebuild them. I have also stepped through the permissions thing and feel that I've got it right but would appreciate detiled advice on this.
Lee
-----------
Complexity? Its just lots of simple things connected in lots of simple ways...

jdseymour
Re: ERROR: Could not connect to the forums database.

Any recent upgrades?

lucidlee
  • 2005/11/11 1:49

• lucidlee

• Just popping in

Quote:

Any recent upgrades?

To newbb2? Not really. Its a new install, but having said that I have just upgraded XOOPS itself from 2.0.7 through to 2.0.13.2 and during that process have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled newbb a couple of times. The essential thing though is that it hasn't actually been used.

Well, now that I think about it, yes. I installed newbb and setup a couple of forums and some dummy topics. Then I unistalled it entirely and installed newbb2 and recreated the category structure from scratch.

Are you suggesting remnant scrap in the db structure somewhere?
Lee
-----------

jdseymour

Sorry for the delay had to get some sleep.

What I was asking had actually two meanings. A recent upgrade from newbb 1 to newbb2/CBB could cause this, if not done correctly or completely. Or, during a XOOPS upgrade, of the 2.0x versions, if you upload the newbb folder in modules (which are files for newbb 1) can mess up your newbb2/CBB install. The fix for the latter is to delete the newbb folder from the modules directory and re upload the full version you are using.

I think this is what happened to yours.

lucidlee
  • 2005/11/12 11:14

• lucidlee

• Just popping in

You were quite right. I did a complete deinstall - which incidentally did not remove some tables so I deleted them manually (using CocoaSQL actually).

Then a fresh reinstall of newBB 2.0.2 and everything is now sweet. Thanks for the clues!
Lee
-----------

Login

Who's Online

254 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 254

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits