jayjay
Re: Title Tag Hack
  • 2005/1/28 7:27

• jayjay

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/10

Thanks for the compliment bjbtexas! I put a lot of work in it.

I only recently changed the title tag order myself in the theme on my website, after a hint at www.frxoops.org. If you know French a little, go visit it!

bjbtexas
  • 2005/2/4 17:50

• bjbtexas

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/3 2

Once I found the French site it was a piece of cake, however the Chinese site that lead me to the French site was a little tougher!

I only read simplified Chinese and it was all mandarin

Ce fichu Américain parle seulement anglais! J'ai pris le latin à l'école cependant!

Thanks Google!

Carpe Cerevisi

gruessle
  • 2005/3/27 8:07

• gruessle

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/20

Interesting, now I am wondering if all that work did any good???

I am asking because my competition if you like to call it that. Has no meta tags at all and they are way higher rated then my site. So I am wondering what the google robot does when he can't find any meta tags.

Why am I wondering, because when I do a search and find my comptition, the one without meta tags, Google shows content from his page rather then a desciption from the meta tags.

Hisoka
  • 2005/3/27 9:49

• Hisoka

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/2 1

Yes, thank you and nice site :)

rudycash
  • 2005/3/27 23:32

• rudycash

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/12

Its probably because optimizing a site for google is a lot more complicated than just changing the title and description tags.

Do you have a reciprocal link exchange campaign?

You also need to mention your target keywords in the text about 12 - 20 times on your homepage ( if you can )

macmend
  • 2005/8/21 20:12

• macmend

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/27

I am searching all over here to understand how XOOPS adds pagetitles and whether there is a simple way to get the titles of the srticles in my weblog into the page titles, but I am not really sure...can anyone guide me to what I am altering is it the index.php in the module or something in the theme
Free Mac Support

Ordinary Wisdom

apache server with php sshexec turned on
xoops version 2.0.18.1 & 2.3.1
php version 5.2.5
mysql version 5.0.45

soconfused
  • 2005/9/15 6:56

• soconfused

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/4/2 1

How to do it for weblog is here:
http://xoops-tips.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=69&com_id=195&com_rootid=185&#comment195

offside
  • 2005/12/10 16:29

• offside

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/7

might be a bit of a stupid question, but do you still need to use this if you are using the latest verion of xoops?

macmend
  • 2006/2/22 22:28

• macmend

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/27

This really needs to be built into XOOPS somehow, the difference for me when page titles match articles or module sections is phenomenal. Yes sitemap helps and the way the site title, tags etc are used and more, but page titles are essential.

I have had to give up weblog becuase of trackback spam and am moving over to the wordpress module (www.xoopsforge.com) however this does not have thje ability to display articles as webpages and the wordpress hacks that do this do not work on the wordpress module.

If anyone has the skill to know how this might be done, please contact me.
Free Mac Support

Ordinary Wisdom

apache server with php sshexec turned on
xoops version 2.0.18.1 & 2.3.1
php version 5.2.5
mysql version 5.0.45

ljmyers
  • 2006/10/8 14:46

• ljmyers

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/4 2

Quote:
I have had to give up weblog because of trackback spam and am moving over to the wordpress module (www.xoopsforge.com) however this does not have thje ability to display articles as webpages and the wordpress hacks that do this do not work on the wordpress module.

I just finished switching over to WordPress for the article section in my womens magazine and just tinkered with the code in the templates a little bit to adjust the layout as I wanted it. I also code my own custom navigation blocks. Take a peek if you like . . .

the article index
a specific category page
a specific article

It is different than the article module I was using before and I did have to edit an email form to use as an article submission page because I can't get the section where the -user creates a post for me to authorize- to work correctly yet but the SEO is TOP NOTCH. Great trade off I think!

I also wanted to point out a couple of little SEO tidbits that I had read a few years ago while learning html.

1. Google doesn't like anymore than about five words in the <title> tags.

2. Meta tags in a certain order such as . . .
<title><{$xoops_pagetitle}></title>
<
meta name="keywords" content="<{$xoops_pagetitle}>, <{$xoops_meta_keywords}>" />
<
meta name="description" content="<{$xoops_pagetitle}>, <{$xoops_meta_description}>" />
<
meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=<{$xoops_charset}>" />
<
meta http-equiv="content-language" content="<{$xoops_langcode}>" />
<
meta name="robots" content="<{$xoops_meta_robots}>" />
<
meta name="rating" content="<{$xoops_meta_rating}>" />
<
meta name="author" content="<{$xoops_meta_author}>" />
<
meta name="copyright" content="<{$xoops_meta_copyright}>" />

3. Keep the # of keywords down to about eight or nine.

I don't know all around how much of a difference this stuff makes but when I built my first couple of site which almost strictly consisted of html, I used these rules of thumb and my sites usually did very well in the search engines. As a matter of fact they have slipped waaaay down since switching to XOOPS but I wanted dynamic and safe so you do what you have to. I am since learning more about XOOPS combined with good SEO practices which I am hoping to see positive returns on soon. I still need to link from one page to another using key word in my article content and such.
Smiles,
Lana
MyOnlineMagazine .net
L.J. Myers Company (My first website)

Login

Who's Online

221 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 221

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits