floor9
Site badly crippled -- upgraded from 2.0.9.2 to 2.2
  • 2005/9/11 20:27

• floor9

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/11

I had a perfectly-functioning site at 2.0.9.2, and decided to begin applying upgrade patches today. The end result is that my entry page (floor-9.com/content) is now all white with no content, and all of the entries under "System -> Preferences -> (any settings submenu)" are missing as well (all I'm left with is a "Go" button). All of my other preferences pages are fine too.

I'm willing to accept that I'm to blame for this one. Here's what I did:

1) Downloaded 2.0.9.2-to-2.0.10 to my desktop.
2) Without unzipping/untaring, uploaded via FTP to my xOOPS directory on the remote server
3) Via SSH, in my xOOPS base directory, tar -xzvf Xoops-2.0.9.2-to-* (name changed as appropriate for each patch)
4) Repeated for other patches up to 2.0.13-to-2.2
5) After the 2.0.13-to-2.2 patch, copied xoopsupdate.php to my base xOOPS directory and ran it, clicked "submit"
6) Noticed site was blank. Panicked. Drank beer. Didn't help. Panicked again.

Although in retrospect it probably made things worse, I tried the following steps to remedy the situation:

1) Re-applied all patches in sequential order. Same problem.
2) Re-applied all patches in sequential order, running "System -> Modules -> System -> Update" after each patch. Same problem.
3) Re-downloaded eatch patch file, then repeated entire process with new patch files. Same problem.

Obviously I'm missing an important step here. I've read some threads on here that have given me some ideas to check, but so far nothing has helped. Fortunately I have a database-only AND full (database-inclusive) backup of my system from yesterday, so I'm hoping I can restore and put everything back the way it was. Problem is, I'll still have to upgrade again. I'm hoping there are some tricks I can try before I restore the backups, since there's a risk of those not working.

Any ideas on what might have gone wrong?

floor9
Re: Site badly crippled -- upgraded from 2.0.9.2 to 2.2
  • 2005/9/11 20:43

• floor9

• Just popping in

Forgot to mention that I'm working through the "white page FAQ", but to no avail. Turning on php debugging as documented in the FAQ, via .htaccess, is generating a 500 error, with a "Invalid command 'php_flag', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration" error in my logs.

I'm still searching through the forums and FAQs ...

EDIT: I'm digging myself deeper. Fantastico just popped up with a warning that my version "2.0.9.2" was outdated and should be updated to "2.0.13". I ran the Fantastico script, and my ~/www/content/modules/xoopsgallery directory has vanished! Any ideas on getting it back? If the database still exists, would a re-install of xoopsgallery simply "inherit" the pictures / descriptions / comments from before?

gstarrett
  • 2005/9/11 21:46

• gstarrett

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/3/12

Quote:

floor9 wrote:
EDIT: I'm digging myself deeper. Fantastico just popped up with a warning that my version "2.0.9.2" was outdated and should be updated to "2.0.13". I ran the Fantastico script, and my ~/www/content/modules/xoopsgallery directory has vanished! Any ideas on getting it back? If the database still exists, would a re-install of xoopsgallery simply "inherit" the pictures / descriptions / comments from before?

If your xoopsgallery/cache directory is still there, then your albums are all preserved. If not, you'll have to go back to your backup (I'm hoping you did that before starting the upgrade to a test version of XOOPS!).

As for the other issues I can't be much help.
Glen Starrett
Webmaster, Great Arizona Puppet Theater
and PHP/XOOPS Tinkerer...

floor9
  • 2005/9/11 21:52

• floor9

• Just popping in

2.2 is a test version? It doesn't say that anywhere on the download page. Only that 2.2.3 is an RC. Wish I had known that first.

The entire xoopsgallery directory is gone. It's as if I went to the modules directory and did "rm -rf xoopsgallery". Nothing left. :(

My backup was completed hours before my upgrade started. I'm about to roll it out now and hope for the best.

gstarrett
  • 2005/9/11 22:04

• gstarrett

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/3/12

Quote:

floor9 wrote:
2.2 is a test version? It doesn't say that anywhere on the download page. Only that 2.2.3 is an RC. Wish I had known that first.

I'm not sure about that, but I thought it was. Good luck to you.
Glen Starrett
Webmaster, Great Arizona Puppet Theater
and PHP/XOOPS Tinkerer...

floor9
  • 2005/9/11 22:23

• floor9

• Just popping in

Yeah, you're right. It *does* say RC1 once you read down through the buglist. I had assumed that since the 2.2.2 "full" version isn't flagged as an RC, then the patch would be stable as well.

Thanks for your help.

Login

Who's Online

152 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 152

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits