dean_collins
mysql

where in the debian hard drive folders is the MySQL database saved?

I've had a problem with one of my ahrd drives this morning and although I can access the original hard drive files I need to know where/what to copy across to the new hard drive?

tia,
Dean

dean_collins
Re: mysql

If anyone wants to help on the bigger problem you are welcome to. Heres the story of my day.

I woke up this morning and found my webserver non resposive upon rebooting I was told grub had error 25 (disk problem)

I have installed debian, apache and MySQL on a second hard drive in the same machine (it was a physical identical with nothing on it)

I have mounted the orignal (faulty supposedly) drive as /mnt/copyall folder on the second drive.

The original master files are still there.

What is the best way for me to solve my problem? How do i get up and running?

Do I

Is it copy over MySQL apache etc and other files I need and copy these to the secondary drive?

Is it repair the original drive? (still dont know what in grub was causing this)

Crash everything and start again?

I currently am copying off the original files to another machine via winscp and hopefully some people here will be able to advise me of best course to take.

TIA,
Dean

Dave_L
  • 2005/9/6 22:17

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Quote:

dean_collins wrote:
where in the debian hard drive folders is the MySQL database saved?

The normal location for linux is /var/lib/mysql. There should be one subdirectory for each database. Within each of those subdirectories, there should be three files for each table.

In my case it's different, since I use XAMPP, and the path is /opt/lampp/var/mysql.

If possible, run phpMyAdmin and in the MySQL section of the output, the variable MYSQL_SOCKET contains the path. Or run MySQL from the command line; then run the "status" command, and look at the value given for "UNIX socket".

Or you could search for it with the shell command: find / -name mysql.sock

dean_collins

of so I found the /var/lib/mysql file

is there anythign else I should be copying across apart from that?

if I copy the MySQL file, and /apache/(all of the XOOPS files)across is this it? I will have my original site or is there more to it?

also when I copy across the XOOPS files does this mean all the permissions etxc will come across as well?

Cheers,
Dean
p.s. I'm starting a bounty for automated bas=cup script now

somethign that runs every x hours and copies across to a second machine) $50 is my start

dean_collins

ok it didn't work, got about half way through when

General failure.
Error code: 4
Error message from server: Failure (*)
Request code: 5

came up

dean_collins

are these not copying across because of permissions?

if I change all of the permissions will it work or are permissions so granular that I would never eb able to change them back properly?

Dave_L
  • 2005/9/6 22:53

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

You should copy the files as root.

I would use "cp -a source_dir/* dest_dir".

You should only copy the subdirectories containing the databases that you want to transfer.

dean_collins

I'm actually trying to copy them off to a windows machine because I'm more comfortable with windows (stupid command line linux) :P

but if I can copy it acorss to my second linux hard drive and thats a good idea then can you give me more info.

dean_collins

cognationweb1:~# cp -a /mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/* /var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup
^[[3~cp: reading `/mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/xoops_banner.MYI': Input/output error
cp: reading `/mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/xoops_bb_topics.MYI': Input/output error
cp: reading `/mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/xoops_session.MYI': Input/output error
cp: reading `/mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/xoops_stats_date.MYI': Input/output error
cp: reading `/mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/xoops_stats_month.MYI': Input/output error
cp: reading `/mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/xoops_stats_year.MYI': Input/output error
cp: reading `/mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/xoops_user_profile.MYI': Input/output error

came back with the errors above (but wow thats fast for the rest of the file - love that linux :)

dean_collins

Argh whats worse than no website :)

Half a website

http://www.aussienymeetup.net

this is what happened when I copied across

mysql db files: /var/lib/mysql
apache file: /var/www

cp -a src dst

cp: reading `/mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/xoops_banner.MYI': Input/output error
cp: reading `/mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/xoops_session.MYI': Input/output error
cp: reading `/mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/xoops_user_profile.MYI': Input/output error
cp: reading `/mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/xoops_bb_topics.MYI': Input/output error
cp: reading `/mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/xoops_stats_date.MYI': Input/output error
cp: reading `/mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/xoops_stats_month.MYI': Input/output error
cp: reading `/mnt/copyall/var/lib/mysql/aussienymeetup/xoops_stats_year.MYI': Input/output error

I cant log in now, and although the photos are there the forums aren't working and obviously I cant log in as webmaster to change any permissions.

Also the forums aren't working at all.

any thoughts or should i just copy and past and salvage what i can and start again?

Cheers,
Dean

Login

Who's Online

273 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 273

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits