bhazeltn
Site project idea
  • 2005/8/30 5:25

• bhazeltn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/30

I have a big plan in my head (and some on paper) for a massive on-line community. I'm looking for some feedback from people who use XOOPS and CMS's in general on my idea.

A Canadian University Community is the target for the project. Crossing a few domains and many subdomains, incorpertaing XOOPS, a LiveJournal based site, and a forum site into on super site, so to speak.

A diagram of (most) of the inteded site:
Resized Image
(domain names blacked out until registration is finalized)

Modules I am in the process of building/getting built include a basic university info module, a sports module that I have yet to fully set down the details for (the exsiting ones don't fit my needs), A professor rating module (will be a semi-standalone site), a module with rankings (both my MacLeans and users) with comments and additional information (or have it integrated with the first module), one extending the user profile to include (getting data from the university info module) school, program, and year in the users profile.

I am not sure what message board I will use yet, but that is a small chunk of the pie. gallery., personals., and buysell. will all use modules that are already out there.

The Live Journal based site will be linked into the user list, allowing every user to have a journal on it (utilizing every feature I can squeeze out of the LJ code)

I have a crazy idea that is posted in another thread and I'm 99.99% sure it's impossible.

The main site will feature news (of course!) both user submited and staff created, a scholarship "board" with info for as many scholarships as we can find, and various other things I might want to add.

In addition to the web site side of things, I plan on linking the user database into a private Direct Connect hub (why private, cause most of the users will be on university networks with very fast connects between the schools, don't want the general public to slow stuff down). The possibilty of running an e-mail service has also crossed my mind (allowing users to either use webmail or forward to an exsisting account). A Jabber server was another thought, with transports to whatever IM services I could do (and maybe even S2S with Google Talk)

--

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
Feel like calling me an idiot or fool or crazy? Go for it (but you're not the first). Want to help with the coding? PLEASE!

I've been doing some feeling around and it seems this site could fly, esp. if I get co-operation with the admins of various forums to back me (I already have a couple, and I'm not planing on launching for 11 months)

Login

Who's Online

447 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 447

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits