indiear
modified "headlines" to support podcasting
  • 2005/8/20 12:29

• indiear

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/16

OK, I know this has been mentioned a time or two in the XOOPS site, but how about a podcasting module..I am even willing to pay for such a thing

Podcasting is sent via xml/rss feeds and works exactly like any news feed, but it has one additional tag of "enclosure url" that is the url to the mp3 file. Podcast feeds work in the "headlines" module that comes with xoops, but obviously there is no coding to display "enclosure url" tags that are entered into a podcast xml file.

I have, and will continue looking at and doing trial and error with the XOOPS rss files and those within the "headlines" module to see if I can not learn something, but if someone knows how you can add additional info to the "headlines" module and do this that would be great also.

I think that this should be simple for people who really know the coding of XOOPS (or maybe it is harder then I think). I have even looked at changing to php-nuke, but I see they have a lot of people requesting such a module and it is not yet available for them either. I think it would be great for XOOPS to be the first to do a module like this, podcasting is the hot thing right now.

Below is a copy of a standard podcast xml file for those who might be interested in this new idea and how you can maybe include the "enclosure url" instance.

- <rss version="2.0">
- <channel>
<title>The Indie Limelight Radio Show</title>
<link>http://indielimelightshow.com</link>
<description>One-Hour Program featuring music and interviews from some of the best Independent Artists.</description>
<language>en-us</language>
<copyright>2005 IAR Networks</copyright>
<managingEditor>Chad LaGrone</managingEditor>
<webMaster>info@iarnetworks.com</webMaster>
<lastBuildDate>Sat, 09 April 2005 20:00:00

EST</lastBuildDate>
- <image>

<url>http://www.indielimelightshow.com/images/button1.gif</url>
- <item>
<title>The Indie Limelight Show 8/01/05</title>
<link>http://indielimelightshow.com</link>
<description>The Indie Limelight Show featuring DJ James St. James and Khiki Cavan
</description>
<enclosure url="http://www.iarnetworks.com/syndication/upload/Indie%20Limelight/IndieLimelight080105.mp3"
Length="795577" type="audio/mpeg" />
<pubDate>5/29/05</pubDate>
</item>
</channel>
</rss>

jdseymour
Re: modified "headlines" to support podcasting

Are you speaking of having the "enclosure URL" available for user download (the way intended from the feeding site.) Or to actually move the "enclosure URL" to your site itself? The latter would be wasted bandwidth for the site in question.

Mithrandir

Or are you just talking about that the Headlines module should have an icon or something, pointing to the "enclosure file", to indicate that there is a podcast to this item?
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

indiear
  • 2005/8/20 17:20

• indiear

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/16

I am thinking that the "enslosure url" would work like the "url", so I guess just the same think that calls and displayes <url></url>. It would be just a simple link to the audio file. And then a call in the template to display that. Once that is done I can even make a custom graphic for the template that will say "listen" or "broadcast". I guess a "clone" of the "url" call that would display seperate links. one for the website link "url" and display the second link that is named "enclosure url" in any podcast xml file.

Here is how it looks on a podcast site:

http://www.podcastingnews.com/details/indielimelightshow.com/limelight.xml/view.htm

The "podcast" option on the above link example is the link to the "enclosure url", the other option is to stream and not download, but I am not too concerned with that at this point, I can create an m3u tool to auto handle that. I am pretty good with audio solutions but the whole php scripting is out of my area.

sorry if i am not really clear it is a great idea, but to explain without knowing the right terms in "scripting" makes it hard to do. Again I think a module of this type would be huge for xoops. I have looked at nuke, mombo and other types of systems and no one has anything like this, but there are a lot of people looking for such thing.

I have all ready turned PDdownloads into an internet radio station directory that links right into the streams of the stations so I am looking to now offer podcasting also.

Login

Who's Online

220 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 220

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits