MikeOConnor
2.0.7x to 2.0.9.2 upgrade - I've really hosed up my sweetheart's blog -- help

I've really goofed things up. need help from all you smart folks.

before i started the upgrade, i backed up the SQL database and made a copy of the root directory of the XOOPS 207x installation.

then, i turned off the site and copied the files from the 207x to 2092 upgrade packet into the root directory

that failed -- a fatal error -- so i decided to roll back to the old files. i copied all the old files back into the directory and the site is now broken -- basically everything returns a "no input file specified" error.

so i've really goofed up my wife's blog. what i'd really like to do is rebuild the site on a newer (more secure) version of Xoops, because i think that site has been hacked.

a) is there a way to do that, using the backup of the 207x database?

b) is there a way to get past the "no input file specified" problem and at least get her back on the air?

i'm in pretty deep yogurt here -- any help would be much appreciated.

m

jdseymour
Re: 2.0.7x to 2.0.9.2 upgrade - I've really hosed up my sweetheart's blog -- help

Were there any problems with the site when you did the backup, before the upgrade attempt.

MikeOConnor
Re: 2.0.7x to 2.0.9.2 upgrade - I've really hosed up my sweetheart's blog -- help

No. but i have the suspicion that the site may have been hacked -- my server is port-scanning, and the XOOPS stuff is about all that runs on it. so i figured that perhaps that instance (the oldest) had been hijacked.

but the site ran just fine -- no problems.

jdseymour

Well, I do not believe there were any database changes from 2.07 to 2.0.13. But I may be wrong. Install the latest 2.0x version which is 2.0.13, do a fresh install on a new database. Get it all set up like the old site, same modules and all. Restore your SQL backup to a new database. Change the database entries in mainfile.php to connect to the restored database and test it for errors.

HTH.

MikeOConnor

ah.

dinner will be a lot calmer now that i can tell her that i have A Plan...

i think i'll wait 'til morning to actually try it though. let my nerves settle down a bit. this has been a bit of a Knotted Stomach afternoon.

question; do you think i could point the fresh install at the existing database, rather than doing a restore from the backed up copy?

thanks! i'll post a reply with the results when i have them.

jdseymour

I think it is best to start with a fresh install and database to get everything set right. Then once the site is working as the old one switch the database to the freshly restored one from the SQL backup. If no errors then you are good to go. If you get errors there will be more fixing to do.

MikeOConnor

you got it in 1! i'm am forever in your debt.

the site (http://www.prairie.haven.com by the way) is back on the air. a huge relief.

one thing i can't figure out -- in the old site i had a little custom block of HTML and some Javascript to present Marcie's email address (the script would run, creating the "mailto:" tag at page-view time to discourage address-harvesting).

i can't get even the most basic of custom blocks to work properly. i can edit them and preview them, and the database reports success when i post them. but they display erratically. sometimes not at all, sometimes just the heading but no text. you got any ideas on that one? i have a theory but i don't want to sully your brain with it.

other than that one little hangnail, all is healed.

again, a thousand thanks.

m

MikeOConnor

never mind... didn't realize that i needed to update the System module. all is well.

thanks again. serenity has returned. whew.

jdseymour

Very glad it worked out for you. But you did half the work yourself by making a backup before any changes were made. Good job for that.

MikeOConnor

sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart.

one last teeny tiny hangnail. custom modules are working, but Javascript isn't. unfortunately, nothing shows up in any of the debugs to give me a clue -- but when i put the little Javascript widget back in the module two things happen.

first, the "preview" of the block stops happening.

second, the Javascript part of the custom block doesn't display.

it's not a big deal -- just some Javascript to slow down the spam email address harvesters. but if you know the no-brainer answer, t'would be great to get that tidied up.

Login

Who's Online

304 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 304

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits