_sxsw_
Any way to create category-specific blocks?
  • 2005/7/27 13:26

• _sxsw_

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/19

I'm a new user and struggling with a structural question regarding category-specific module blocks.

For example, if I wanted to create a custom page for a specific department, say "Development". Ideally, I'd liked to have a static intro paragraph coupled with say blocks of news, events, downloads, etc. that are specific to the Development Department on this single page.

I realize that there are modules that provide the ability to generate articles that can be published as blocks within custom pages (this would work for my static copy). However, what I'm really looking for is the ability to show category-specific module blocks (i.e.: recent News, Downloads, Events. etc. that contain "Development-specific" items) within this "Development" custom page.

- Is it possible to modify a block's code to display a filtered or category-specific set of content? i.e.: on a 'Development' custom page, could I show a block of recent "Development" news and say a block of recent "Development" downloads (I have categories already set-up for both of these) as opposed to just showing the typical blocks that are available like "Recent News" and "Recent Downloads".

Any tips/suggestions on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. And thanks in advance for your patience in dealing with a new user...

Rickb
Re: Any way to create category-specific blocks?
  • 2005/8/6 15:41

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/24

Great question - I would be interested in the answer.

Rick

jegelstaff

I believe the blocks of many modules are permission aware, so if you set up your XOOPS site with the necessary groups, ie: Development, Marketing, Management, Sales, etc. And then you set up the necessary categories in the modules, ie: Development News, Development Downloads, etc. And you then assign the permissions for those categories to only the appropriate group, then when people of that group login, the only items they will see in the recent news and recent downloads blocks are the items of the categories they have permission for.

So Marketing people won't see Development downloads.

I know the Recent Downloads block for WF-Downloads works this way.

Certainly the news that gets displayed on the front page of the website by the News module works this way, and I would assume the recent headlines block does too.

Any really good module should be "permission-aware" throughout the whole thing, including all blocks. So what you are looking for should just be a matter of configuring the right groups in your XOOPS site and then systematically creating the categories within each module and assigning the permissions within each module.

Or am I missing something of what you want to do?

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

Rickb
  • 2005/8/6 16:04

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

Ho Julian,

Thank you for making this understandable on permissions. I better understand this principal of customizing Modules for specific groups. However, I am not the originator of this thread and lets hope you've answered the question.

I would like to go further and pose another question on this topic. If I wanted to have several news broadcast - each for a different group (group specific) - how would you do this? Install several "News" modules?

Rick

jegelstaff

To have specific news for different audiences, then you simply do what I described above...

Make different groups for each audience.

Make different news categories for each audience.

Assign view permissions for each category to only the group that should be able to view that news.

Then when someone in group 1 logs in, they see only category 1 news. When someone in group 2 logs in, they see only category 2 news.

Installing multiple copies of the same module is not possible in XOOPS. Instead, you have to do lots of permission configuration to support different "instances" of the same service.

You can "clone" a XOOPS module, by meticulously going through the source code and changing all references to the name of the module, and the folder and all other unique identifying characteristics, so that the module would then behave independently of any other modules of the same kind. But that's generally very complicated hacking work. (Though there are some facilities now for cloning WF-Channel, do a search for that in these forums if you're interested).

Depending on your needs, you could get into having a lot of groups to manage, if you want to have many different audiences in your site. XOOPS has poor support for managing a large number of groups (ie: more than 10 to 15). We manage a site with nearly 100. It's exceedingly error prone to manage changes to the group permissions through the System Admin->Groups interface, since you have to go one group at a time, and the UI doesn't indicate to you which group was the last one you changed. And the standard group permission form that most module use becomes extremely long and hard to use once you get a lot of groups in a site. But it is possible to do this, the core XOOPS technology supports it quite well, even if the UI is lacking.

XOOPS also has no facility to pushing administrative tasks "down the food chain" to senior users within an audience (for instance, if you have a group called "East Region Managers" you cannot give them the ability to Edit Users only within the East region. Once you turn on Edit Users, it's site wide, so they can modify and delete accounts in the East, West, North and South regions. Nothing you can do about that. So if you manage a site with tons of groups, you will have to manage all that complexity yourself; you can't delegate most of the admin tasks.

There are some special customizations we've done to support some of these situations, perhaps they will make it into XOOPS 2.4 or 2.0.14 if there is ever one? For the time being we're focused on other stuff.

Anyway, that's a tangent. It's quite simple to set up different audiences for content in a XOOPS site, as described at the top of this message. That's one of XOOPS' most fundamental strengths in my opinion. It just takes a bit of time and effort in the configuration.

--Julian

Rickb
  • 2005/8/9 16:21

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

Hello Julian,

Really thank you for the tutorial - I really appreciate this help. I now understand how I should use the groups with the news module.

I had wanted to bring the Mozilla foundation with XOOPS in a theme called Mozilla Meets Xoops, but because we could not get the needed timely help to questions on this forum, our company had to discontiue the project. I am positive if there were individuals like yourself helping - the project would have continued. The objective of the project was to "Spread the Word" about Mozilla and XOOPS within an online expo for open source products and services.

I see the donation area of XOOPS - so this was our way of giving back - but again there was not the assistance we needed to make the project work. Our company is a non profit and must really watch how our resources are placed.

All of this is to say - the quality of your assistance and response time has raised the quality and function of this forum a few notches.

Thanks again,

Rick

jegelstaff

Thanks for the kudos, glad to be of help.

--Julian

Login

Who's Online

196 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 196

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits