wizanda
If you fix errors in modules, where can you add the fixs?
  • 2005/7/29 22:11

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

I have been on a W3C mission all night with my site!

I have tidyed up a lot of errors and have the fixed files for the modules.

How can I add these to the ones we have on xoops?

So no one else fixs them a second time!

The bits I have fixed are in shoutbox, statistics, google and solo has the bits for multimenu.

They are only slight fixs, in templates and blocks, yet still errors.

Is there any easy way for us to do this?

jdseymour
Re: If you fix errors in modules, where can you add the fixs?

Submit as patches on the module dev forge site or at the modules developers site.

wizanda
  • 2005/7/29 22:33

• wizanda

• Home away from home

Well the google mod is 1.1, it was submited by Anonymous and it site is http://www.xoops-modules.com??

LoL

I am going to sleep, Can we as a community find a better was to make it easier, that we can all contribute?

Then we can have the smoothest running systems, with no errors instead of having versions on here, we know have errors in!

Plz think about a way we can do this!

wizanda
  • 2005/7/30 7:25

• wizanda

• Home away from home

Good morning

Ok with this question it is not just about what I have just done, yet all of us fix bits.
So should all the modules have a place, that if anyone fixs them, people can added to.
With out having to become part of the team to do so as on dev.xoops.
Or having to submit to dev.xoops, as the last time I had to, I was put off for ages as it is to complicated.
Also the projected I translated died, as it was only open to me>????
Can we please do something, to make it that people can easily add fixed files.
Not that we have to post them up, then the maker check it, then the maker in there own time make a better copy, then the maker release it as a new version, and leave the old version still going.
This is so unproffesional and we are not that!!

So lets find a way to fix it!!!

jdseymour

Actually, no. It would be a great security risk if people could add code to modules unabated. The fixes need to be tested by a developer in charge of the module before insertion into production code.

The only way, and the proper way to add fixes is as patches submitted to the developer. If no developer exist for the module, then that is a problem in itself of finding another developer to pick it up, or find another module that does the same thing that is supported.

Now another way, if you have fixes (hacks) that can be useful to others, you can post the code and or method in the module hack forum. Then others can fix their personal module as you have.

wizanda
  • 2005/7/30 7:56

• wizanda

• Home away from home

The problem is like with the google module there isnt a developer, so do I then have to add it to dev.xoops?

As I am planning on doing a php course soon, so this is just the start most of the error I have just found are within html templates.

A lot are quite simple like things not being closed properly.

With the statistics module, I have been adding request to the site yet no one anwsers?

So what do I do in this case?

As with that module the counter block, each image isnt closed, so this increases peoples loading time!

I understand what you mean with security risks, yet if you truly are one of the XOOPS regulars, can`t we have a system?

rowdie
  • 2005/7/30 8:06

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

I agree with jdseymour in this. We have a system, which is to submit patches. If the developer stops, then it's either wait until someone else takes over, take over yourself or move on to a similiar module that is supported. Either way, your patches will be available for others to use, even if they are not integrated into the released module.

wizanda
  • 2005/7/30 8:15

• wizanda

• Home away from home

This is like saying, if mith made something for xoops, he has to do the same?
That is over exaggerated, as in no way.
I am I as good as mith, yet do you get my point.

We need a system is what I am saying, xoops.dev is good, yet complicated!
so do I take over the google module then, don`t I have to find the original author to do that?

Why does it have to be so hard?

Also to let people download faulty copies, is detremental to the XOOPS community!

rowdie
  • 2005/7/30 8:49

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

You've got a number of different issues in your post. I'll answer each separately.

1. Mith is a developer of the XOOPS project, so he doesn't have to submit patches. Before he became a developer of that project though, he would have submitted patches like the rest of us.

2. Which module is it exactly that you're trying to find the developer/website for? It isn't Xoogle is it? that one is still actively supported, and I can't see another google module - could you perhaps provide a link? Maybe we can find the original author.

3. The quality of modules is what the QA process will deal with. It is still being set up.

wizanda
  • 2005/7/30 9:07

• wizanda

• Home away from home

The module is stated in the good night post, it is google 1.1 on this site.

This is just part of it though, my point is we have faulty modules on here.

Couldn`t we have a system in which we fix all modules, as in all modules being on dev.xoops?

Before release or something like that, do you follow me?

What is QA process ? That is begin added? will this fix the problem?
This is one of the reasons why predator left, as I am discusing, acording to his post on mambos.

So please don`t be as if I am a newbee, I am just trying to resolve/find an easier solution.

Plus of course to add the fixs to the modules on here, not to have the fixes sitting on the shelf for 3 months, till a new release.

Login

Who's Online

239 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 239

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits