jamboree
Visitor count in 'Who's Online' block is incorrect
  • 2005/7/4 18:04

• jamboree

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/25

Hi,

I have a strange phenomena on my site. (www.djtaiwan.org/index.php)

The 'Who's online block is counting visitors twice.

Example: I access the site without logging in and the block displays me as a guest. Say i go to the calendar page then decide to login. After i login, there are now two users counted as 'Online'. When i check the details, the IP addresses are the same. It has counted me twice.

EG My site will show 6 people online but they are actually only 3 people, counted twice as Guest and Member.

In addition, I use PHP Stats to count my visitors and this seems to be very selective in its count. I have been told it is counting me even when i set my ip to 'exclude' because my home line IP number is floating not fixed.

Is there another way to accurately check the visitors count - a log file i can check?

How can i fix the who's online block to accurately show the right number of people (eg that when a person logs in, it will no longer count them as a guest)? The block cache for 'Who's Online' is set to 'None'.

Pulling my hair out over this one - its messed up my stats for over a year now.

anyone know whats going wrong? - its a new site (2.10.0).

thanks
Jamboree

Mithrandir
Re: Visitor count in Whos Online block is incorrect

The online handler used by the who's online block has a bit of caching in itself to lessen the load on the server.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

jamboree
  • 2005/7/5 5:43

• jamboree

• Just popping in

Is this online handler modifiable? If so, how can i change it so it doesn't cache?

many thanks for your super lightnight quick reply. XOOPS rules.

Ps: I'd like a decent SMS module but not sure whether i have to pay a local telecommunications carrier for this service? I reside in taiwan so the sms module in the modules depository doesn't work (USA only?)

cgibb1014
  • 2005/7/15 19:50

• cgibb1014

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/10

I've got the same problem. It sees me under a registered name when I log in and also keeps me as anonymous.

Also, all morning it has shown 8 anonymous users online in addition to me. When I click "more," it shows the same IP addresses each time and shows them browsing the same locations (for hours!).

When I log on, there are 9 anonymous users and my registered name, so the count goes up to ten. When I log off those 8 anonymous users remain, but I don't think they're really there.

Oddly, my StatCounter says NOBODY has hit the site at all today (I filter out my own IP address).

There is "no cache" for the Who's Online block.

Is there something I can do to fix this?

DonXoop

If your site is getting little traffic you won't have an accurate Who's Online. It is tuned to work better under at least a bit of load.

Connections will linger if there isn't much traffic. Another issue for many sites is a changing hostname after the first redirect. With and without a www or an IP address etc.
no max no bling. goes double for mik. triple for the insane aliases of said lunatics
===========================
Not around here anymore. Way too many idiots, so sad.

cgibb1014
  • 2005/7/15 21:41

• cgibb1014

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/10

So let me see if I understand this.

Those anonymous users probably were there at one point but because there hasn't been a lot of traffic today, the list doesn't get "refreshed" and so it looks like they're still there long after they've left?

Or were they never there in the first place?

UPDATE: Since those same users have been there all day, I just emptied the xoops_online table and that took care of them.

OTTAGON
  • 2005/7/18 23:57

• OTTAGON

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/3 1

Scuse me, but I think that simple, THIS IS A BUG!

This feature don't work properely!

I must to have so much traffic for have a feature that work?? This is an answer for you??!!

If the "Who's online" is a good block, he must to work with little o big traffic, this is the truth.

From many times a lot of users of XOOPS have this problem and a solution where is???

NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING.

It's possible that the development team don't correct this bug??

DonXoop

Relax guy. This is not a bug but a tuning function. I'm not a programmer but I can appreciate the need to not burden the system just to show status. I'm sure you can hack the code to show accurate status but then the status will be the busiest part of the site.

If you have little or no traffic then why would you need to know the status? Hint, you don't have anyone online. Your web server traffic reports will show a lot more detail about what (or not) is happening on the site.

"Build it and they will come"
no max no bling. goes double for mik. triple for the insane aliases of said lunatics

jamboree
  • 2005/7/19 18:04

• jamboree

• Just popping in

ok,

i want to know how many users i have because i'm trying to build a site and gather more traffic - i also want my users to be able to know who is or isn't online. My server admin tells me that XOOPS online has a cache that if people don't log out, it will continue to show them as online. I understand that this a not a flaw or bug so much as a programming decision to cut the page load delay but I have spent 1 year installing and uninstalling stat programmes because i thought my stats were bad. Thats my own fault. How could i access the server stats for traffic to compare with phpstats that i'm using at the moment?.
My site is www.djtaiwan.org.
thanks for taking this topic
Jamboree

DonXoop

For the webmaster the main server logs will give you much more useful information than the who's online block. Your server generates a detailed log no matter what is running (xoops, html, etc).

Run your favourite log analysis on the logs and find out what is actually happening. If you're hosted then there is already a log reporting function most likely.

Once you actually have users the user block will be more accurate. The who's online block whether accurate or not isn't keeping or attracting users. The content and function is.

Login

Who's Online

101 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 101

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits