macelee
scoop and extended text in news module
  • 2005/7/4 19:09

• macelee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/7 1

I am using the 1.3 version of news module. I have been posting news using a webmaster account without any problem, using both the scoop and the extended text. But one of my site contributer told me he could only see the 'scoop' part not the 'extended text' area when he posts a news. Have I missed anything in the configuration? Thanks in advance.

Mithrandir
Re: scoop and extended text in news module

Only people with approve privileges can see the extended text field
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

Peekay
Re: scoop and extended text in news module
  • 2005/7/5 0:29

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

If you leave the whole article in the 'scoop' field it will appear on the main news page complete. If you transfer the article to the 'extended text' field, you can use the 'scoop' field to write a summary of the article. The scoop text will appear on the news page with a 'read more...' link, which leads to the article (the extended text).

I think the principal is that staff authors (who you would for example put in a 'Staff' user group) would have permissions to approve their own articles and would also know how to write a decent 'scoop' summary, so both fields are available.

Other registered users are required to submit articles in the one field because in that case the webmaster would normally edit the article before publication. It is then the webmaster's decision whether to leave it all in the scoop field, or split it.

By default, the scoop text also appears at the head of the article, however, you'll find a small hack
in this thread that hides it in the article itself.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Login

Who's Online

156 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 156

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits