nightshade
Forum Question? Help Needed.
  • 2005/6/25 23:25

• nightshade

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/11

I have a question regarding a XOOPS site i am currently attempting to set up. I am attempting to create a members only forum site. I have the basic set up in place with relative no major problems. The only thing is, i would like to have two categories of my forums, the "welcome to the site" category and "this week's topic" forum to stand alone, outside of the normal forum page. i would like to somehow have a page where these two forum catagories are the first forums that members see, before going to the regular forum. Right now--because it is a members only site--i have the forum module as my top page entrance module, with the permissions set to disallow guest or annony visitors. But because there are so many forums and topics in the forum page, the main two or most important two categories lose their focal point. This is why i would somehow like to be able to pull out these two categories as the first page members see once they log in--while keeping the same permissions structure.

Any ideas on how i can accomplish this? any help would be appreciated. im sure its a simple solution, but i haven't been able to figure it out on my own. thank you in advance...

nightshade

Mithrandir
Re: Forum Question? Help Needed.

I can't tell you step by step how to do this - but it is not something you can configure in the module. You'll have to make a new page - or a block - that only pulls out those two forums and lists them.

At least, that would be the approach, I'd take.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

nightshade
  • 2005/6/25 23:37

• nightshade

• Just popping in

i had assumed there was some kind of method of doing it like that, but just havn't run across any option that seems to let me pull out sections of categories or forums from the forum module. i see a ton of sites who seem to have it, so i's assuming it can be done fairly easily. i tried making a news module as my start page with all the permissions set, but couldn't find any type option that would "pull" the forums from the forum module. is there a specific module anyone knows of that maybe can do this?

jdseymour

Go into blocks admin, choose the newbb recent post block, click on edit at the far right, you will have options there for forums to include or not include in the block.

HTH.

nightshade
  • 2005/6/26 1:51

• nightshade

• Just popping in

WOW, jdseymour, thanks a lot. that actually worked so aqmazingly well that im a bit ashamed now that i couldn't figure it out before. i was trying everything i could think of too. (i box as a hoby, so maybe some brain cells have been lodged out of place.) this was a great help, as now i am able to add bits to different other pages as well. IM free!!! Im FREE!!. Thanks alot.

Anyone as slow as me dealing with this problem, jdseymour's advice worked very well. i had to make sure the permissions were changed to keep guest from reading the news, but using the news module as my home page and editing the recent post block to be included in the top of the news page is working well.

Thanks again.

nightshade

Mithrandir

Weeell... My impression was that you wanted a list of the forums - not the recent posts - but with just these two forums listed.

But I'm certainly glad you got it working like you want it to
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

Login

Who's Online

222 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 222

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits