justtupeu
Help about buying a domain. Need i change my page url ?
  • 2005/6/9 21:11

• justtupeu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/7 8

I've got a problem. Hope you can help. I've got the website www.steaua.trei.ro, where a intro is located,pointing to www.justtupeu.lx.ro.ro.
After a few months since i've opened the website, i've decided to buy a domain, for example steauafc.net. The domain will be with full masking, and my question is if I must change the My Page url tohttp://www.steauafc.net for my address bar to always show the steauafc.net domain instead of the lx.ro one .
If i must change it, could you please tell me where I can make some adjustments ?
Hope i've made my self understood, as my english isn't very good
Regards.

pod
Re: Help about buying a domain. Need i change my page url ?
  • 2005/6/9 22:23

• pod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/19

Most Domain services have a feature where you can forward the new domain to the old one, but keep it within an invisible frame so that regardless of what someone clicks within your site, the URL bar will always read yoursite.net. This isnt the optimal solution, however, just the easiest one.

If you are using the same server space with the new domain as the old, you should be able to open yourxoopssite/mainfile.php and change the URL of your site on line 39. Make a copy of this file before you overwrite it in case anything goes wrong.

Hope this helps :)

Lance_
  • 2005/6/10 1:19

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

It would be much easier to respond with knowing some details of your hosting.

If you are allowed parked domains then it is a sinch since the parked domain points to your root. Therefore like pod said above modify the mainfile.php for the new doamin and you are all set.

If you can do addon domains then this will point to a folder under the root. In this case, move the files to the folder and same procedure for mainfile.php.

Otherwise, the masking thing is doable, just not very elegeant in the long term. You are better off finding a hosting outfit that fullfill your needs instead of looking for workarounds.

Cheers.

justtupeu
  • 2005/6/10 6:43

• justtupeu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/7 8

The free hosting allows parking of your domains, so from what you've said, it will be much easier. About the mainfile.php, i must change only the Virtual Path, and leave the Physical Path unmodified, right ?

Lance_
  • 2005/6/10 14:45

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

That would be correct.

Change thehttp://... to your new domain
the /home/... should stay the same.

radiobuzzer
  • 2005/8/25 13:25

• radiobuzzer

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/19

I had the same problem. I changed the mainfile.php. The site links work perfectly now, BUT: the administrator cannot login and new users cannot register.

It seems that there is some "referrer detect" procedure to detect if somebody is trying to abuse the register and the admin login facility. (I bypassed the one temporarily). But shouldn't there be another place to change how the referrer checks the attempts?

Login

Who's Online

215 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 215

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits