Mithrandir
Re: My thoughts on Whats going on with Xoops

Quote:
so in effect their are still going to be core modules, correct?

Shedding some light on this:

The module packages are meant to replace the core modules and will be populated with the best modules, we can find. Currently "best" is a judgement performed by yours truly, but I sure hope to be able to have some more objective criteria to choose from in the future.

The modules will be the best, the community has to offer, but I will not be the one maintaining them - the developers will. If module2 comes out that is better than module1 that is in the module packages, then module2 will most likely replace module1 in future module packages. Or if module1 is updated, then the new version will be in the module packages.

This will take the module development out of the core development team so we can focus on making the core the best possible. We will of course continue having as much communication with the module developers as possible, so we know what is needed in the core and the module developers know how to use it.

Lance_
  • 2005/5/27 17:35

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Honestly, if the existing module repository is cleaned up and a better "sectionning" of the "best" modules is present. I don't see the reason for you folks to trouble yourselves in making the perfect "packages".

I'm sure you will not find 2 XOOPS site with exactly the same config running anywhere, except for the most basic sites.

All we need is a better description and classification of the modules. Then everyone can make up their own minds.

DonXoop

[edited: Please Don... we were getting along so well. Let's let it lie, shall we?
Thanks for your support, though.
Mith]

edit by me: ok fine, letting it just go was my whole point. sheesh.

Mithrandir

Quote:

Lance_ wrote:
Honestly, if the existing module repository is cleaned up and a better "sectionning" of the "best" modules is present. I don't see the reason for you folks to trouble yourselves in making the perfect "packages".

I'm sure you will not find 2 XOOPS site with exactly the same config running anywhere, except for the most basic sites.

All we need is a better description and classification of the modules. Then everyone can make up their own minds.

Exactly why I don't think the modules should be in the core.
However we cannot ship XOOPS without at least pointing to some good modules for the first-time user, so s/he can see whether XOOPS is the system for him/her.

Just like the default theme is XOOPS' "first-hand identity" the modules (or absence hereof) will shape the thoughts in the mind of the user.

Lance_
  • 2005/5/27 18:14

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Of course you need to point the peons in the right direction.

Just saying that if you all start making packages, you'll not end listening to the bickering of one module over another and then the accusations of unfairness towards one group of coders over another for political or emotional reasons, and yadda, yadda, yadda.

davidl2
  • 2005/5/27 18:25

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

Rhomal wrote:

> i don't think the wf-team would take too kindly to their modules being taken over by xoops, especially as they are still working on them,

Thats a very debatable point. I put the WF modules inching very closely to abandonware if not already there.

This is not true, as development is continuing - ablite slowly.

David

WF-Projects

Mithrandir

Quote:
Just saying that if you all start making packages, you'll not end listening to the bickering of one module over another and then the accusations of unfairness towards one group of coders over another for political or emotional reasons, and yadda, yadda, yadda.

All the more reason to get some good, objective criteria going.

The first couple of module packages will be compiled on gefühle with hopefully a decent balance between appearance, performance and code quality

Rhomal
  • 2005/5/27 19:20

• Rhomal

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
Quote:

Rhomal wrote:

> i don't think the wf-team would take too kindly to their modules being taken over by xoops, especially as they are still working on them,

Thats a very debatable point. I put the WF modules inching very closely to abandonware if not already there.

This is not true, as development is continuing - ablite slowly.

David

WF-Projects

When I see product not shallow promises (as all WF section users have been hearing for almost a year now) then I shall re-evaluate my position. Until then I stand by my comments.

It baffels me why its SO difficult for you people to just issue a patch to fix the most critical issues with the last full release. Thats all I, and most others using WF-section, am asking. Either that or make a script to port us to the new beta version that you claim has these fixes in place.

Either way I feel franky screwed over at this point. If you cant get the job done hand it over to someone who can. But stop jerking us around with your promises that sound like a broken record for the past year.

Rhomal
  • 2005/5/27 19:22

• Rhomal

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Quote:
so in effect their are still going to be core modules, correct?

Shedding some light on this:

*snip*

Thank you for the feedback, that clarifies much. I and overall agree with your vision on this level. It sounds like a solid plan.

Of course we wont know until it is in place.

I do have concerns about how 'out sourcing' the core modules will effect XOOPS as a whole. But I am willing to give it a shot.

Vahrokh
  • 2005/5/31 11:26

• Vahrokh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/17

About WF-Section

I have been responsible in my company to make a XHTML and accessibility and documented and most of all "working" version of WF-Section.

While it's deeply customized so it cannot be made public, one thing I can tell for sure, it's an hell of a long work (just the manual alone is 120 pages with pictures).

In easier words: WF-Section needs at one dedicated guy just for maintaining itself, which is a no go for busy people like the XOOPS Devs.

About the default modules being crap:
When I enter the XOOPS site, it says "powered by You".

Yeah, like other commendable open source initiatives you get a nice product and for free. But powered by You means that You are supposed to help in the project, else You will get the default stuff and thank others for having done those "crap" modules which would not exist at all if some generous people would not have donated their time for them.

Want it better? Want it different? Good, they are waiting for your shining better module that will happily include in their module pack.

Login

Who's Online

199 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 199

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits