stateofthehe
Has anyone installed Xoops on an Ipowerweb server?

I'm having some problems, they have great cust. service so I'll try to work it out but thought I'd go here for some answers too.

cuckston
Re: Has anyone installed Xoops on an Ipowerweb server?
  • 2005/5/23 17:59

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/1/19

Xoops should work on any server in theory. Check with there support as they should know if there are anyu limitiations on php or MySQL versions.

animas
  • 2005/5/23 18:03

• animas

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/30

@stateofthehe

I don't know about IpowerWeb but sure SATISFIED with Surpass.

Dave_L
  • 2005/5/23 18:33

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

My XOOPS test site is on an Ipowerweb server. I don't recall having any problems.

safe_mode and open_basedir were enabled by default. That shouldn't affect the XOOPS core, but it's possible that it could cause issues with some hacks or third-party modules.

kyraha
  • 2005/7/14 18:16

• kyraha

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/2 2

I have a XOOPS instance (http://doydu.sakhaopenworld.org/) with iPowerweb. The installation went pretty smooth and it worked right a way. But then (maybe when I added some blocks in the main page or some content was added) the loading of it got to be very slow. I don't know why. I haven't investigated it yet. The only thing I can say that other applications (standalone phpBB for instance) on the same host work fast in the same moment of time.

JamesSAEP
  • 2005/7/14 18:33

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/28

I have one site on Ipower and works fine. But, I'm dumping ipower and moving to IXwebhosting to solve a problem with email.

Ipower, on shared servers, only allows 5 emails to be sent every 10 seconds. I kept having problems with my news letters only going to the first five people and erroring out on the rest.

IXwebhosting has the limit set to 100 emails at a time...

surpass
  • 2005/7/15 1:40

• surpass

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/18

Quote:

Jamescne wrote:
I have one site on Ipower and works fine. But, I'm dumping ipower and moving to IXwebhosting to solve a problem with email.

Ipower, on shared servers, only allows 5 emails to be sent every 10 seconds. I kept having problems with my news letters only going to the first five people and erroring out on the rest.

IXwebhosting has the limit set to 100 emails at a time...

Most likely that is a precaution in place in case any site on the server is exploited and used to send spam (mainly phish scams).. I would believe iPowerWeb has more problems with that due to more users and more servers, thus they have ended up enforcing such a strict rule. That seems _more_ strict than general rules, but it's in good spirit (or sanity protection)... :)

JamesSAEP
  • 2005/7/15 2:27

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/28

Your completely correct surpass. Yes, it is in good spirit, but it is a pain when it comes to emailing 100 users... If I wanted to pay for a dedicated server, I could email as much as I wanted.

So a better solution was to go with a less restrictive hosting company. 100 emails per is a much better limit, 5 per 10 seconds is kind of rediculous.

bumbum
  • 2005/8/16 14:06

• bumbum

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/18

I've just changed over from iPowerWeb to MidPhase. I found IpowerWeb a fine host at first but they can be a little 'rigid'.
Certain modules like the photo galleries don't work because of the default locations and permissions of the tmp directories for uploading. When I encountered this problem I asked support to help me out by changing the permissions and I was told it was not possible. Explaining my dilema I was told 'we do not support Xoops'.
After several similar issues I began thinking of going to a more flexible host.

Another issue I found with iPowerweb is the problem with SQL requests - I have a mailing list with 12k subscribers and have had to controll the mailout using batches and throtteling it to prevent the SQL database shutting the door on my whole website - 'max requests exceeded' errors etc... cronjobs are very difficult to setup too.

My opinion is that IpowerWeb is a decent host with some nice features but isn't ideal for a XOOPS web site (or any other site or application that relies heavily on the SQL database). The support ain't all that great either.

I'm only with MidPhase about a month now and so far it seems far better than iPowerweb - I'd recommend that you check out the forums on a few different hosts and their references to XOOPS before deciding which one to use.

moorej
  • 2005/9/19 4:40

• moorej

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/16

I use ace-host.net tech supports is ticket based for the most part. However they are awesome and i have a set of tests that i "bench" my hosts against. I am working on starting a hosting company, iZoom Networks, look for me. Mac hosting well priced and reliable. My DC is great. Just my two cents.

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits