jeffcar
Custom HTML Blocks
  • 2005/4/25 11:47

• jeffcar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/22

Hey folks,

After succesfully creating a custom html block for the news module, I wonder if it's possible to have different custom blocks for its news topics as well. This way every news category can show different html blocks. Or does this require some additional php code?

thanks,
Jeffrey

pod
Re: Custom HTML Blocks
  • 2005/4/25 12:53

• pod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/19

You might be interested in the 'Blockies' module from BrandyCoke Productions - doesn't do quite what you want but it does give you both a "recent headline" & a "random headline" block.

The blocks you apply to your modules are module-wide, if you place a block on "news" then it will display on every 'news' page. In other words, blocks arent page specific, they are module-specific.

A dynamic block could theoretically be created that would display different content pending on which news topic you were browsing, but far as I know none such exist.

Good luck ;)

jeffcar
  • 2005/4/25 14:19

• jeffcar

• Just popping in

Thanks for the info.
Basicly, what I want is to add topic specific images. For example, at the top of the news/review item, I would like to place a (static) review image/banner. Does this require additional php coding?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

pod
  • 2005/4/25 14:31

• pod

• Quite a regular

Topic-specific images can be specified in the news admin section... just upload the images u wanna display to yoursite.com/modules/news/images/topics/ & choose em from the drop down.

jeffcar
  • 2005/4/26 9:41

• jeffcar

• Just popping in

I'm not sure if thats working...
If you go to www.renderpass.com you'll see the "latest news" text image at all times. I would like to have for example a "review" image when the review (which is basicly a news topic) button is selected instead of the "latest news" image.
Perhaps it's just not possible creating this with custom blocks?

Jeffrey

pod
  • 2005/4/26 10:58

• pod

• Quite a regular

The "latest news" is a graphic header for the front page of ur news area, it could be edited in your template files. However, I don't really think thats what you're after here... if you do as directed above & add a few images: reviews.jpg & news.gif, for example, & drop those into your yoursite.com/modules/news/images/topics/ folder via FTP or your file manager... Then go into ur admin section > News > Edit Topic > Reviews - you should see a drop down select menu containing reviews.jpg & news.gif. Choose ur reviews image, hit submit, & reload ur news page. You should see the change you're after, I believe...

For reference, here is the main news page of my site, same as yours but with the topic images (mine are flash) in place. Each different colored XOOPS dude is a different news topic image, each displays alongside news items posted in his category. Get it?

[Edit: You may also have to enable these images to be displayed via your news admin > Preferences]

Hope this helps...

jeffcar
  • 2005/4/26 12:55

• jeffcar

• Just popping in

Well, actually what I want is a graphic header with the appropriate topic... Is this possible by editing the template?

Login

Who's Online

119 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 119

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits