soconfused
Translation Module?
  • 2005/4/17 21:21

• soconfused

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/4/2 1

It would be really good to have a module where users could enter in text and have it translated to another language.
(if this has been done already please let me know where I can download it )

jdseymour
Re: Translation Module?

I do not think there could really be a module for this purpose. I am not multilingual myself, so it would be very difficult for me to translate text into different languages.

Google offers some pretty good translation, as does some other translation services. Machine translation has its limitations though.

I am using a script from Rohitab.com called translingo. It is a perl script that generates a java script to use on your site including the languages that you choose. The script itself does not do the translation, it directs the webpage to a service that translates the page in real time. Of course there will be mistakes, but for me it is better than having someone turn away from my site because he/she can't read it.

This script I have set up for 32 languages, from Arabic to Welsh, And I put the script in a custom block shown on every page.

There are other premade scripts available, just do a google search.

kiang
  • 2005/4/18 3:30

• kiang

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/9/2 1

You meant this...

http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/?lang_tool

soconfused
  • 2005/4/18 13:50

• soconfused

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/4/2 1

Hi,

No not quite (but it's very good!).
What I was thinking of was a module to translate small amounts of text ie: similar to Altavistas bablefish.
My site is an expat website for english people living abroad. and users are often asking for a translation tool that will allow them to enter in small amounts of text say in english and translate it into french for example. It would be nice to be able to do it within XOOPS rather than sending them off to the Altavista website.

Login

Who's Online

261 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 261

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits