rob777
Looking for a classified ads module
  • 2005/4/14 5:59

• rob777

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/21

Hi,

I'm looking for a classified ads module for my new site.

Reason= I'm building a site aimed at my local communtiy as a communtiy portal. Our local paper has gone to sky high rates for classifieds ads ($80 for a 1 week listing in any vehicle category). So I want to offer a free alternative for local residents. I might possibly put a donation block in the classifieds, if the traffic increase effects my hosting bill, but it will be a free feature reguardless.

Features that it has to have:
1. Ability for all visitors to fill out a submission form to place their ad. (If it becomes attacked by internet spammers, I'll have to change to registered users only access to the form.)
2. That form will be held for review/approval by webmaster group. (would work sort of like the comments need approval feature of most all other modules)(I am very busy and I don't have time to manually add listings from email submissions, so a form and approval system on the site is a MUST)
3. An expiration feature that will automatically remove/delete the ad after a chosen time. (3 day, 1 week, weekly increments, monthly, etc. choices would be nice but atleast a 1 week limit should be standard) (an Excellent feature would be if the submitter was given some kind of code or reference number that they could use later to delete their own ad in case it sells quickly)
4. A clean looking index page that displays all the categories. (a 3 column layout in the center block would be nice)(an index page like xdirectory would be a perfect starting point. The categories display is real nice and the submision form is linked right there at the top)
5. Multiple categories and sub categories would be nice.

Others feature that would be a great addition but not a must right now:
1. Photo upload feature for submitters.
2. Maybe a feature that holds the expired listings for like 3 days after expiration to allow the submitter to return and re-activate the listing it if didn't sell.
3. The ability for submitters to edit the price after it is listed.
4. Notification feature like other modules
5. Maybe a couple blocks, like a newly listed block displaying the title of the 1-10 newest listings.
6. Maybe a reputation voting system for the registered users that sold something, sort of like Ebays rating feature.
7. Ability to change the form fields from the admin side. (a form generator like in the Liaise module would be the bomb!)
8. An option in the admin to set up a paid service. (I wouldn't need it but I know alot of xoopers would love this addition)
9. Maybe a free stanard ad and a pay for extra features option. (Like a highlighted ad, bold, top of list, what ever.)

If you made a this classified ads module I'm sure many people would be making entire sites out of it. Could be a cornerstone for a commerce type XOOPS site.

If there is already a classifieds module out there that has the first set of features I mentioned, PLease point there to go to get it. If not, maybe someone would want to try changing an exsisting module , or (choke) build a new one?

In any case, it would be a great module tat I am looking for.
What do you all think? I don't ask for much do I?

Login

Who's Online

202 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 202

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits