asche
Which Linux is best for Xoops and "database related opensource"
  • 2005/3/29 17:12

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/4/5 9

I installed XOOPS on windows allright (I used Saint Wamp, I would try XXAMP now for better postgresql support?), but now I want to install XOOPS on my first Linux box (XXAMP postgresql support for Linux only until now, not on windows XXAMP?).

So many questions?
Which Linux distribution shall I install?
-> I found a couple of interesting applications which are supported only on redhat
Which version shall I install (9.2 is newest available, better take older one for compatibility and better documentation?)
What software can I use for windows emulation (my best guess is wine)?
Which boot-manager can I use, when installing win XP in parallel and going for dual boot?
-> I still need the XP installation when programm is not runnable on wine

Being thankful for any hints until I come back with better questions ...

eric235u
Re: Which Linux is best for Xoops and "database related opensource"
  • 2005/3/29 17:31

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/19

I'm no guru, but here we go...

Q: Which Linux distribution shall I install?

There's a whole bunch of good ones. Check out distrowatch.com. You mentioned Red Hat, which is my favorite. SuSe is also great. If this is a test box check out Fedora. For business you'll want something more stable. Use the latest stable version of what ever distro you choose, especially for your first time.

Q: What software can I use for windows emulation (my best guess is wine)?

Winblows emulation? Yuck! There's plenty of great apps for Linux. Wine doesn't work half the time and it's slow. I never use it. There's others, but again, yuck.

Q: Which boot-manager can I use, when installing win XP in parallel and going for dual boot?

Grub. Dual booting with Red Hat / Fedora is (usually) painless. Install Winblows first. Then Linux. Most of the magic happens on it's own.

Hope that helps some. If you're going to play in the land of the penguins you should consider joining a local
linux user group. They help me a lot. Good luck!

asche
Re: Which Linux is best for Xoops and "database related opensource"
  • 2005/3/30 16:13

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/4/5 9

Hi Eric, thanks for your infos.

Probably I will install Suse 9.2, but I am not sure yet because of a few applications which are supported only by red hat (red hat is closer to Oracle than suse?).

Is not Fedora a red hat distribution? Looking for info I found distinction between core 1 and core 3 (the later with some relation to xen, as you can see search anyfinder for oracle "red hat fedora core 3". I will be installing on a textbox (dual xeon with ncch-dl mobo). What are the pros and cons of fedora?

For anybody interested in installing Linux Suse 9.2 I post a link for download of iso file for DVD.

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.2/iso/

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits