mactoeknee
Module Repository and current versions
  • 2005/3/28 18:11

• mactoeknee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/26

Rather new to Xoops, and I like it a lot. I have found that the Module Repository info is often very incomplete, and versions are often not updated. Most recently I installed piCal .51 from the Module Repository (still there) and later found it is not the most current version by far... it makes me wonder how many other modules are not being updated in the repository, and it makes me wonder "if not, why not?"

Looking for modules is also often difficult, because the descriptions are vague, or go something like, "based on the so-and-so module in Nuke..." and who knows what that's all about. The search engine doesn't help if a good description of the module's purpose is not there.

Point is, many of us are new to XOOPS and new to portals and CMSes in general, so if XOOPS is to grow with people like me, it needs to be a little more user-friendly about the stuff like modules and themes.

Do you have submission requirements for module developers? Do they have reasons for not keeping their module versions current and descriptions complete in the repository? Is there strife here I should know about?

Mithrandir
Re: Module Repository and current versions

Quote:
Do you have submission requirements for module developers? Do they have reasons for not keeping their module versions current and descriptions complete in the repository? Is there strife here I should know about?

Submissions should be as clearly described as possible, but sometimes it just isn't the case. One reason is that the module repository has been assembled over quite a period of time and instead of cleaning out the less descriptive modules, they have remained - also because they might be really good modules that just need a user comment or similar to give a further description. Another reason may be that I don't have the time to contact the developer for a better description and then it is easier to just approve it and hope it will be modified with a better description later. I agree that it is not optimal, though.

Keeping modules uptodate is the responsibility of the developer him- or herself. We neither can nor will to do the work for the developers, who should have their own interest in keeping the repository information uptodate. I am currently the only one maintaining the repository, but am not overburdened with modification requests - although sometimes there are a couple that hit a low point in my free time and have to wait a couple of days before approval.

Login

Who's Online

210 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 210

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits