Peekay
Re: FriendFinder -Requires Globals or what?
  • 2005/2/17 0:34

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Module de-globalisation and variable sanitisation. Sounds like a Bush speech!

jfmoore
  • 2005/2/22 3:28

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/6 5

What is it exactly in FriendFinder that doesn't work with globals off so I can test it?

JFM

tripmon
  • 2005/2/24 20:34

• tripmon

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/2/28

JFM, hope you have a sense of humor (I'm a joker) & would love your help in de-globalizing if that is why you were interested in "testing"... smartass comment to follow.

Perhaps I am a master of the obvious, but... what doesn't work is all of the Global Variables...

As a result of global variables not being passed (running the module under a server config with register_globals=OFF) Profiles will not save, module block causes blank page, search function does not pass variables (loops to self), etc.

In a nutshell, you can't do crap with this module (native that is, as opposed to my hacked ver.) running under a register_globals=OFF environment.

Even when the script I included is tactically applied (read as inserted only where it has an effect), some of the vars are Still not passed correctly. As a result I have modified the code on numerous pages to change the var handling.

I am planning to look into this more, but am busy now and on 56k as my wireless network and DSL line were fried in a storm a couple of days ago ( DOAH).

Once I get back in fighting condition (off of dial up) I'll try and re-release this mod. after cleaning up my messy hackage and running it by GIJOE for a security check(if he entertains it).

PM me if your interested in assisting, or want to look at my freshly butchered version.

jfmoore
  • 2005/2/25 1:49

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/6 5

Quote:

tripmon wrote:
JFM, hope you have a sense of humor (I'm a joker) & would love your help in de-globalizing if that is why you were interested in "testing"... smartass comment to follow.

I would be glad to help in whatever way I can. (Just so you know, whatever way I can would not include writing code. )

Quote:

In a nutshell, you can't do crap with this module (native that is, as opposed to my hacked ver.) running under a register_globals=OFF environment.

Fixing modules like this would obviously be the best solution, but, since there are other modules with this problem, too, I was wondering if one could just turn globals on with an .htaccess file for the module and then protect the site with GI Joe's XOOPS Protector which is supposed to protect against the globals problem?

JFM

Peekay
  • 2005/2/25 20:40

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

jfmoore wrote:

Fixing modules like this would obviously be the best solution, but, since there are other modules with this problem, too, I was wondering if one could just turn globals on with an .htaccess file for the module and then protect the site with GI Joe's XOOPS Protector which is supposed to protect against the globals problem?

Sounds good to me?. I believe some htaccess settings have to be allowed by the host. Assuming you don't host your own site, do you know if register_globals is something that might need the host's permission to change, or can you just override their default setting on a per application basis?

Iggy80
  • 2005/3/26 13:14

• Iggy80

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/16

can you let us take part on your solutoion: friendfinder and register_globals_off

Login

Who's Online

234 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 234

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits