riomx
Need recommendations on modules to use (content, forum, downloads)
  • 2005/3/24 23:58

• riomx

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/24

Guys:

I am managing a website for a laboratory at Ohio State University. I need recommendations on different modules that will meet the neeeds of our website.

Simply, I need to know what module is best for creating different sections of a website and inserting content into separate pages.

For example, our old website is located here:

http://moritz.ceegs.ohio-state.edu/oldweb

The topics section is where our articles over our activity is kept. Each research topic has its own separate page, and that's what I want to do with Xoops.

I've found that the other modules like to separate everything as an article, but I simply want to create sections and to insert my content into an independent page

Also, I would like to know what the best forum module is, because there seems to be multiple ones. If people can tell me which is most reliable, I'd appreciate it.

Lastly, I will be creating a download repository for programs from our laboratory. Can someone recommend a good downloads module ?

Thanks,

- Joe K

tripmon
Re: Need recommendations on modules to use (content, forum, downloads)
  • 2005/3/25 0:36

• tripmon

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/2/28

for PAGES:
Check out wfsections, freecontent, icontent, tinyd.
From where I sit Article/Page is semantics...

Newbb2 is great (forum), if you have non ie users, even better(ie renders a bit slower).

The download modules are similar, read about the features in the mod repository... basically some offer more granular access control than others.

The best thing to do is install and play, when you remove the modules it removes all traces...you have nothing to loose.

GL

riomx
  • 2005/3/25 0:38

• riomx

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/24

I've been checking out user sites and it looks like people have played around really well with the iContent and news modules to fit their needs quite well

I'll give them a try :)

One question though - is NewBB2 unreliable ? I see lots of problems being posted in the forums, so I'm a bit wary...

- joe

tripmon
  • 2005/3/25 0:44

• tripmon

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/2/28

we're using it now

It really depends on if you monkey with it, most probs are caused by low skills and a high tweaker mentality.

It works well here and on the sites I have.

Don't count tinyd out... more info on peak.ne.jp/xoops/

I also would advise you use the Protector module available at the site above.

Have fun!

Login

Who's Online

390 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 390

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits