Perplecksd
Help with Lost Password / Changed Email Address problem
  • 2005/3/3 19:14

• Perplecksd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/3 1

I have a website that's 4 years old which I used to run on phpNuke and have now converted to Xoops. The simple Forgot Password won't work as it stands because many members have changed their email addresses over the years. My thoughts at the moment are to have something that will allow people to look up their username and old email address and then change the email address. This would then send out a verification email that the user would need to click a link in to verify. Then they could use the Forgot Password link to keep their account. All of this information, including maybe the IP address would then be stored in a table and sent to the site admin for logging purposes. I would also like to limit the number of email changes to maybe once every 3 months or something to help eliminate fraud. Any suggestions, ideas or problems you might see using this method?

Cheers

dasdan
Re: Help with Lost Password / Changed Email Address problem
  • 2005/3/4 10:21

• dasdan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/22

Quote:

... look up their username and old email address and then change the email address. This would then send out a verification email that the user would need to click a link in to verify.

I think this is a real big security hole you will open in your site. E-mail addresses are easy to find out. IP adresses change continue.

the user will have to register again, or contact the administrator to delete the account(will delete messages???) or change the pass and email by hand, but how do you now the user is not just someone else, who wants to get access to the personal messages of the original user?

Perplecksd
  • 2005/3/5 1:42

• Perplecksd

• Just popping in

The problem with this method and the reason why I would like to get this implemented is that we have over 100,000 members. So, there is no way for us to manage even 1,000 members needing to change their old email address, etc. Also, we can't have people signing up with a new username because many of them have uploaded content using a specific username which would no longer be attached to their original username. Once again, there would be a manual process of changing usernames, etc...

script_fu

You have 100,000 users from a postnuke site? Am I reading this right? John cox would be proud. Not that this helps you in anyway but that sounds like one hell of a problem...

dasdan
  • 2005/3/5 5:41

• dasdan

• Just popping in

ok, mayby I underestimated your problem

but i would recomend building in , some filtering , only normal users should be able to use that way to change their email. (not admins)

Perplecksd
  • 2005/3/5 15:37

• Perplecksd

• Just popping in

script_fu, no, it was a phpNuke site, not a postNuke site

dasdan, can you elaborate a bit more on your idea?

dasdan
  • 2005/3/5 19:38

• dasdan

• Just popping in

a little storm in my brain

thought 1: I was thinking you could use the hacked version of the gijoe auto-login hack
This will enable the users to login with their old email en pass (but this doesn't solve your pass problem )

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=29338&forum=14

http://xoops.biz/dist/my_autologin_for_xoops-2.0.9.x.zip

thought 2: how do other sites do it ... big companies like hotmail use mostly a secret question field in the registration form..."What's the name of your pet" (of course this does not solve your problem for the old users)

thought 3: extend the user.php file, allowing the user to fill up the old email, username, new email adress, and other info entered when initially registered, IE location, age, ... You should use this information to match the profile,
-problem1: the registration process of XOOPS is a two pass process, and filling up the additional userinfo is not mandatory, there are some documents explaining how to achieve this behaviour)
-problem2: still a big security risk, the additional info (birthday, location, ...) is sometimes easy to find on other sites ...

conclusion: users should not forget their password and use the hacked autologin hack, or should not change email addresses like changing underwear

Perplecksd
  • 2005/3/9 16:04

• Perplecksd

• Just popping in

Hi dasdan,

Thanks for all your thoughts!.

So, if I understand your thought 1 correctly, this hack would allow users to login using their old email address, change it to their new email address and then use the Forgot Password link?

dasdan
  • 2005/3/9 18:31

• dasdan

• Just popping in

Quote:
this hack would allow users to login using their old email address, change it to their new email address and then use the Forgot Password link?

they need to login , with their old email and old pass.

you are mixing two problems

logging in with only the email would be stupid don't you think?

So or they change email, or they have forgotten their password , not both of them

Login

Who's Online

522 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 522

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits