JasonMR
User World Map
  • 2005/3/5 4:11

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

I know of the buggy map (doesn't work at all with Mozi/Firefox), where guests can enter a message, a 'better' guestbook, but that's not what I'm after.

What I would like, is a mod that checks for user location, and according to the number of users (one should be able to set this), the specific country turns into a different colour (e.g. <5users==blue, <10==light blue, <25==orange....).

This way users of a site, can with a glimpse get an overview of worldwide participation (not very ineresting for local sites maybe, though, it would have an amusing side effect, if a site was heavy on one country, and there there is this one member, sitting {most likely down under} on the other side of the planet, as only member from far away).

It seems to me at times, that we XOOPSers come from all corners of this planet. I would like to be able to view a map, that tells me, how many users exist in which country.

Again, not everyone provides this information, other countries (such as XOOPStopia, or "AlongWayFromHome") are difficult to locate on a 'world-map', never the less, I believe, things like this will be taken care of by the law of averages, due to the number of members we have. Also, having such a feature would inspire more people to actually enter their location.

Just an idea for a bored developer (there must exist something like that...)

Bassman
Re: User World Map
  • 2005/3/5 5:46

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Globetrotter is the "buggy" module you mentioned. The latest version of the script fixes the Moz/Firefox issues, but I haven't got around to porting it yet.........

If you can find a PHP script that does what you suggested, it wouldnt be that difficult to modularise.

Bassman
  • 2005/3/5 5:56

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

It's not exactly what you wanted, but have a look at this , it looks easy enough to port to Xoops

JasonMR
  • 2005/3/5 6:19

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

I believe, that one of the member mods uses this script ... not sure though!

I've commited to more than I have time for! So I can only be of any help, when it comes to bitching and whining

Was just an idea I had Though, would be very happy if you takt this on, maybe you can find a PHP dev to help along....

...and thanks for your replies and effort

porter
  • 2005/4/15 6:47

• porter

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/20

http://www.fairexchanges.com/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=46

you'll find more OS maps there, :)

have a nice trip!

Login

Who's Online

100 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 100

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits