Opterongeek
Any Way to recover a dead site?

I'm resolved with the fact that my site is dead, but I would desperately hope that there's a way to rescue the data that was once in it, even if the mainfile.php file is now missing / corrupt.

Is there a way to get it?

Rhomal
Re: Any Way to recover a dead site?
  • 2005/2/16 0:45

• Rhomal

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

If I understand you correctly what you want is the database and its files. The site itself contains no real data. All the posts, articles, user info, etc is kept in the database. A few misc things are not (like uploaded gallery images) but mostly you could rebuild your site with just the database.

If you dont have your database or have access to it then your out of luck.

Opterongeek

Are we talking the MySQL database? I can't log into the site at all.

The "mainfile.php" file is corrupted, and to get the backup, I gotta shell out cash (sigh) but if there's a way for me to download the SQL file or use it on a NEW installation of XOOPS to recover news posts, etc I would LOVE to do it that way. I could care less about the content at this point (Downloads, etc)

Otherwise, the rest of the site is in pristine shape as far as I can tell.

Rhomal
  • 2005/2/16 1:34

• Rhomal

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

Yes the MySQL database. You can rebuild your site more or less with just that. If you cant get that then the data is toast.

Opterongeek

Well, I tried to reinstall XOOPS using the same database, but obviously I know not what I am doing, this is what I get:

Connection to database server is OK.
Database opteron_xoop1 exists and connectable.
Tables for XOOPS2 already exist in your database.

Ok, now what? PLEEEEASE ideas folks. I don't have a problem rebuilding the site, but I *must* save that data. It does mean a lot to me.

jdseymour

You don't need to use the installation wizard. Just edit the mainfile.php with your site and database info and if all is correct your done.

Opterongeek

I have NO idea what it needs edited. The mainfile.php died and I have no backup, so it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to retrieve data that way. Unless you know of a generic mainfile.php that I can use that will have the requisite information for me to edit.

jdseymour

Read through this Faq Page folow the links, you will find the information needed to put into mainfil.php.

You can download a fresh copy of XOOPS to get a clean copy of mainfile.php

Opterongeek

This is all a moot point, because of yet ANOTHER fuggup on my behalf, the database file is now gone. and I'm feeling suicidal... or something. I'm gonna go blow something up in UT. I can't believe how the past two days has transpired.

jdseymour

Sorry to hear that. Do you have a cPanel hosting account. It won't help now but that same faq above explains to do a backup with cPanel, as well as export import of database through PHPmyadmin.

Sorry again I couldn't help.

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits