meldra
search stats
  • 2005/2/5 13:40

• meldra

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/2 9

Is there a way within core XOOPS to see what people are searching for with the inbuilt search engine?

DonXoop
Re: search stats

First question is are people even using the search?

I don't think there is a core function for logging search activity. That would further burden the server and cause more queries.

However, all the activity is contained in the server logs outside of xoops. It is wise to invest time (maybe money if time is scarce) in a good server log analysis system. You should have access to the backend server logs and in there is most everything you need. It could take time to filter the logs for very specific trends like search terms used but once done you are gold for the next time.

Search your logs for search.php and see if the terms are there. Then you can work on a reporting function that is informative. BTW, this is done outside of xoops, stand alone. It can run along side XOOPS in a unique directory for presentation.

meldra
  • 2005/2/5 14:21

• meldra

• Just popping in

Thanks. I am almost as new to professional hosting as I am to XOOPS ;) but I'm a fast learner...afterall I hacked a module in only several hours, after only using XOOPS a few days tehee.

/me is still darn proud of herself for that ;)

DonXoop

We're all proud of anyone that takes initiative to solve problems with creative solutions. thumbs up to you.

Your hosting server has the main server logs and they should be available to you. Assuming that you are on a commercial hoster you can start with their provided log analysis apps. They can be very interesting by themselves. Once you get used to that you can grab the raw logs that they should also provide to you and run your own analysis so that you can custom design the filters for what you are looking for.

Good luck!

meldra
  • 2005/2/5 14:37

• meldra

• Just popping in

After your previous post, I took a look at my control panel (cpanel) and sure enough stats apps are provided there

Thanks for your help.

Login

Who's Online

235 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 235

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits