DonXoop
Re: Norton Firewall Users

xoops *is* Norton and other firewall compatible. You may have to make a rule in the firewall for the site. Firewalls aren't set and forget. Think of it this way, do you trust your own site? Do you do online banking and had to make a rule for it?

If the users won't make interactive changes to make an interactive site work properly then you have the choice as mentioned to make it less secure for users who think they are more secure. My choice is for security.

Mithrandir

Just a note, Don, the HTTP Referer check does not protect the USER - it protects (a little, but it all adds up) the SITE.

So, soulrama, if you prioritize your users' well-being over your site's security (and I won't look down at you for doing so, provided you don't slack in other security matters, I'm just stating the obvious) you can disable the HTTP Referer check and your users will be able to register and post etc. with or without Norton.

DonXoop

Thanks Mith for the clarification. That's what I care about more, the server.

If the server is more secure it can help in the prevention of user issues since the server itself won't try to corrupt the user. Personal firewalls are not 100% secure or to be taken for granted.

Firewalls or not at the user end won't prevent attacks on your server. Deliberate or zombie it is a 24/7 assault out there.

soulrama
  • 2005/2/3 18:56

• soulrama

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/3 1

you mean small sites. but if u plan sites with 10000 or more visitors a day its very important to not loose half of the visitors because a firewall blocks them.sponsors pay u for every hit. i dont think that the creators wanted to create a cms for 5 users. cms is usually for a big amount of users.

DonXoop

Huh?, even more important to protect the server with high usage. You can post FAQs and notices and online help to get the users going without too much hand holding. Even my mother was able to get online. But up to you, it won't matter to me.

soulrama
  • 2005/2/3 20:00

• soulrama

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/3 1

Quote:

DonXoop wrote:
Huh?, even more important to protect the server with high usage. You can post FAQs and notices and online help to get the users going without too much hand holding. Even my mother was able to get online. But up to you, it won't matter to me.

wrong. i never had that problem before and im registered @ thousands of sites. so theres something wrong. other sites do referrer checks without norton problems too.
and about security ? what can happen ? nothing if ur hoster knows what hes doing. there are some hundred ways to get around referer check or whatever. do u think for example yahoo would accept it to loose 50 % visitors for 1 security setting ? there are really better ways to protect the site.

another sample
im getting 10000-20000 google visitors a day on my sites.
they cant surf on my site without turning fw off or adding new rule in fw.

so what they gonna do ?
picking 1 of the other 32980458230952385 million google resulits in some seconds or adding a new rule to the fw for a site they dont know?

DonXoop

I don't agree but I won't argue with you. I'm not on "thousands" of sites but I don't ever have the problems mentioned even with my own "broken" XOOPS sites.

Just turn it off if you know better. Job done. enjoy.

Login

Who's Online

225 user(s) are online (162 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 225

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits