council
How do I password protect this?
  • 2005/1/29 15:24

• council

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/18

Here's a great idea for a XOOPS module. I'm using it as a standalone online news aggregatorright now which is great, except there's no way of preventing guests from using the control panel.

It's an online news aggregator that I link to from my XOOPS site.

Here's the app:Feed on Feed Demo

Here's my site: blacklogs.com

Click on "Black Blog News" at top of left column to see it in action.

On my site I have it in a custom box with iframe. It works wonderfully except for the security thing. As you can see yourself, anyone could mark all the news items read, and wreck everything (please don't do this).

The guy who wrote the app says this:
Quote:
It is recommended that you password protect (using .htaccess or whatever method is available on your server) your entire FEED ON FEEDS directory. Otherwise, people will find your control panel, mark all your unread items as read (horrors!), erase all your feeds, or worse. And just because you secretly put FEED ON FEEDS somewhere on your server and don't tell anybody about it or link to it, that doesn't mean people won't find it. Think "Referer".

Heres' his site: http://minutillo.com/steve/feedonfeeds/

This app, incidentally (Feed on Feeds), is the engine that drives "REBLOG" another app that takes the online news aggregator concept a step further by adding features like css and porting it to Movable Type and Word Press.
see here:
REBLOG

So, main question: how to I prevent guests from using the panel which displays on the main page of Feed on Feed. This is an XOOPS related question because I'm using it with xoops.

thanks,
r.

carnuke
Re: How do I password protect this?
  • 2005/1/29 16:25

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Double post council see other thread...

Login

Who's Online

417 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 417

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits