C1Team
Total Newbie here, Easy question!
  • 2005/1/25 1:43

• C1Team

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/25

I looked and im sorry if there is a posted answer but I cant find if I can use XOOPS with my cox webspace.

I have a cox webspace and Dreamweaver MX will these things work to make a site with Xoops?

Thanks

RachelVirago
Re: Total Newbie here, Easy question!

Hi

Just started myself and not familiar with your ISP but what it comes down to is if you have msql and php on your shared server. Next issue is likely to be what graphics suite they are running (if you want to run galleries).

Easiest way to find out is to go to the PHP homepage, get phpinfo.php file, upload it then point your web browser at it. This should give you (most of) info U need.

rgds + good luck

RachelVirago

Hate to tell you this but I just pointed idserve (www.grc.com) at your ISP and got the following:-

Initiating server query ...
Looking up IP address for domain: www.cox.com
The IP address for the domain is: 24.248.73.200
Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
[Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
The server returned the following response headers:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Connection: close
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:25:47 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Content-Length: 34669
Content-Type: text/html
Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDACBQRQCS=BFABNOHCJNNLMFCMHBDNBFMD; path=/

What all this means is that they are microsoft people, it is possible to run XOOPS on this platform (I believe) but it's a whole different can of messy worms and you are not likely to find (as) much support on the forums.

Off course I may be wrong, your particular web space may be on Linux. To find out get ID serve from grc and query your site/space.

http://www.ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=54

C1Team
  • 2005/1/25 2:17

• C1Team

• Just popping in

OK I found out that my ISP Cox does work with Xoops. I asked one of the techs on there 24/7 help. But they also said they cant help with installing but I had to refer to XOOPS forums and Q&A. Can anyone point a direction on how do this way. Dont get mad Im still reading forums and Q&A areas.

C1Team
  • 2005/1/25 3:58

• C1Team

• Just popping in

My ISP Webspace does not support php and now is there a all html version of XOOPS and if not is there another system like XOOPS for all html?

Dave_L
  • 2005/1/25 4:21

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

XOOPS requires PHP (and MySQL).

RachelVirago

Lets cut to the chase here!

your best option........

Call Cox and ask them:

a)Do they run shared Linux servers? If so do they support PHP/mysql?
b)Is your hosting on one of these (see previous reply RE: idserve and phpinfo.php) or can it be moved to one?

your second best options...... (sorry I'm a bit predudiced here as I feel that the best place for windows is on the home PC)

If not and you want to stay with or are stuck with cox find out for sure if they run PHP/mysql on the windows platform, if they do you should be fine just read the install guide a few times and go for it.

If you feel by this point that XOOPS is not for you; Frontpage is very windows friendly (giggles), if cox support the extensions!

Otherwise if I were you I would cut my losses and go for a host like PlanetXOOPS at $6.95 per month it has to be a deal

be interested to know what you decide

Login

Who's Online

219 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 219

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits