pgregory
Manual user activation
  • 2005/1/19 10:04

• pgregory

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/30

For some reason, I occasionally don't get sent the user activation emails from my site, I'm the admin and have it setup to require admin authorisation. I don't believe this is a XOOPS thing, as I used to get the same problem in phpBB2, I beleive it is something going wrong at SourceForge, where my site is hosted.

I am quite happy to manually check for inactive users occastionally to clean this up. However, I can't find a way of manually activating an account in the same way as the link that gets sent in the activation email, i.e. so that it activates the user, and sends them an email notification.

Ideally I'd like to go to Administration-->Find User-->Only inactive users, and then have a button/operation to activate the users that I select from the list, and have that operation activate the user and send them an email.

Am I missing something, or is this simply not available?

Cheers

PaulG

Mithrandir
Re: Manual user activation

From Administration-->Find User-->Only inactive users, click to "edit" the user - it will then ask if you want to activate the user first.

A little cumbersome, but it works.

pgregory
  • 2005/1/19 10:57

• pgregory

• Just popping in

I noticed that, but as far as I can tell, from a little experiementation, it doesn't send the user an email, just activates the account in the database. I could be wrong, but I tried creating a couple of dummy accounts to test it and never got any emails.

Cheers

PaulG

Mithrandir

Quote:
However, I can't find a way of manually activating an account in the same way as the link that gets sent

Manually activating the account is what I described.

What you want is a re-sending of the activation email.

System Admin -> Mail Users ->
Check off the "Send message to inactive users only (optional)
[] If this is checked, all the above plus private messaging will be ignored" checkbox and write a message in the text box - somewhere in that, you can include {X_UACTLINK} to have the activation link in the email.

pgregory
  • 2005/1/19 11:09

• pgregory

• Just popping in

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Quote:
However, I can't find a way of manually activating an account in the same way as the link that gets sent

Manually activating the account is what I described.

What you want is a re-sending of the activation email.

In my original message I did actually ask for the following...
Quote:

However, I can't find a way of manually activating an account in the same way as the link that gets sent in the activation email, i.e. so that it activates the user, and sends them an email notification.

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
System Admin -> Mail Users ->
Check off the "Send message to inactive users only (optional)
[] If this is checked, all the above plus private messaging will be ignored" checkbox and write a message in the text box - somewhere in that, you can include {X_UACTLINK} to have the activation link in the email.

This is pretty much what I'd determined for myself, however, it is a pain, and doesn't send the same email as the automatic activation. As the code is in there to generate these notification emails, I thought it would be fairly straightforward to have an operation in the admin interface to do it. Otherwise I need to hand write an email, and then enable each one individually by selecting edit, then find inactive users again, edit one, find inactive users again, edit one.......

Perhaps something for a future release?

Cheers

PaulG

RachelVirago

I have a problem with this in 2.2.2 which I recently installed on a development server.

Find users "only inactive users" gets me the list and I can then send them mail, eg. activation key.

However one member made a mistake in their email address and clicking the link to their profile gets the message "no user selected" whether or not the check box is selected.

So I find myself unable to manually activate or edit the account?

Anyone else have this issue?
Being transgender is NOT a choice.

RachelVirago

Ok, found the "workaround?" for this.

Modules > Extended profiles > Users > List > Add > Edit

Select active and save changes.

Phew!
Being transgender is NOT a choice.

Login

Who's Online

241 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 241

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits