pfaulkne
Fedora Core 3 and CHMOD Checking file and directory permissions..
  • 2005/1/6 4:26

• pfaulkne

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/14

I'm trying to install XOOPS for the first time on a newly built Fedora Core 3 machine. I've installed Apache 2.0.52-3,
PHP 4.3.9-3, and mySQL 3.23.58 from the Fedora installer (confirmed from the install.log). I've confirmed that mySQL is working by creating a new DB to house XOOPS and created a dedicated user. Am able to login using that user with MySQLcc.

Apache is working since I get thru the first 2 screens of the XOOPS installation and therfore PHP is also working.

I have changed the permission on the required directories and file and confirmed with ls -l that they have in fact changed.

I get to the third screen "Checking file and directory permissions.." and XOOPS tells me that they have not been changed.

What gives?

I thought it might be Xoops, so I downloaded Postnuke (sorry) and I get to the same stage there and the same thing happens.

I check both CMS' code and they both use CHMOD function from PHP to check for the file stat.

Is there a problem with Fedora 3 and PHP 4 and the CHMOD function?

I've tried disaling the firewall, just in case it was that, but nope. I've tried the installation both from a client and locally on the server console. Same result.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm going to post this on the PHP site also and will let all know if I get an answer from somewhere.
Cheers

trtc1134
Re: Fedora Core 3 and CHMOD Checking file and directory permissions..
  • 2005/1/7 0:57

• trtc1134

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/1/3 0

pfaulkne:

I got the same problem, I think the problem is "security setting" on Fedora Core 3.
Try to "Turn off" SELinux setting, it will work

SELinux(Security-enhanced Linux)integration into Fedora Core 3.
==== From Red-Hat ========
Fedora Core 3 SELinux FAQ
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc3/

Q: How do I turn SELinux off at boot?
A: Add selinux=0 to your kernel command line.

Be careful when disabling SELinux
Be very careful using this option. If you boot with selinux=0, any files you create while SELinux is disabled will not have SELinux context information. At the least you may need to relabel the file system, and it's possible you will be unable to boot with selinux=1, requiring a boot to single-user mode for recovery.

As an alternative to selinux=0, try using SELINUX=disabled in /etc/selinux/config.

Sorry for my poor English

Lance_
  • 2005/1/7 2:47

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=29426&forum=7&post_id=128965#forumpost128965

I guess your way of asking was better than mine.
I asked the same thing a couple days ago.

Truly hope this works, I will test it tomorrow.

Thanks for the hint.

pfaulkne
  • 2005/1/13 5:41

• pfaulkne

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/14

A big thatnk you to "trtc1134" for the below response. Yes this does allow the installation to continue and complete successfully. BUT.... after rebooting with SELinux enabled again, connecting to the site give me the following error message
"Error [Xoops]: Unable to connect to database in file class/database/databasefactory.php line 34"

The site works fine when I re-disable selinux on the boot command line.

So now I'm back here asking for help again cause I have no idea on this one. It's obviously something to do with the enhance security in Core 3. I've played with the firewall setting and the SELinux setting also. I've make the httpd deamon trusted and everything else I could think of or find.

Alas, no go joe.

Help!

Login

Who's Online

145 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 145

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits