daddystu
System Groups - can't add anymore users
  • 2005/1/12 7:09

• daddystu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/25

System admin
Groups.
When you want to remove or add a user to a group, usually...
choose the group.
At the bottom (below the privileg settings) you are given two lists, all the activated users on the left, those in this group on the right.

Just now, I went to add a new user.

So, first I found the user and activated them.
THen as above went into groups to add them to a particular group.
BUT
now instead of the two lists, I only get one!

EDIT MEMBERS OF THIS GROUP

Find members of this group (this is a link)

the list.

????
I have logged out and relogged in, tried for several other groups with two different browsers.

HELP!

The current count of users just hit 200 active and 40 nonactive, not sure if that is relevant or not.

(Recap. after activating user 200, this occurred...)

I have also tried deleting a few redundant nonactive users to no avail.

hmmmmmmm

daddystu
Re: System Groups - can't add anymore users
  • 2005/1/12 7:12

• daddystu

• Just popping in

AHA!!!

So sorry but this may be of useful to others.

It seems that once a level of 200 active users is hit, the way to add users changes.

Now, it gives a single list of the current users of the group and the link to find members.
Clicking on this link then allows you to find a list of users (example all active users) there you can select who to add to the group.

Sorry if this was obvious...but it wasn' t

irmtfan
  • 2005/1/12 7:24

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

yeah this is a known bug for about 2-3 month.
hope will be fixed in next versions

Mithrandir

bug??

It's a changed functionality to not kill the server by loading too many members in a list.

Will perhaps be changed in later versions, but since it is not a bug, it will not be "fixed"

brash
Re: System Groups - can
  • 2005/1/12 7:40

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Got caught out with this exact same thing a few months ago .

irmtfan
  • 2005/1/12 7:47

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

ok mith your right this is not a bug just a conflict way to change user group.
i personally dont use system group for add/delete users and use edit user for that( amazing feature add in 2.0.9+ )
in addition IMHO XOOPS group system need very features like subscribe/unsubscrib, group pass word , ...

daddystu
  • 2005/1/12 10:43

• daddystu

• Just popping in

I agree that the [User's groups] addition to the Edit User in 2.0.9+ is great but in my case, I usually have to add several users at once to the same group in which case I prefer the way I found

I like the fact that the system is concerned about the load and switches according to user levels, it shows a great depth of thought into how the system is used.
Right now, with the numbers in the 200 user mark, it was getting a bit of a pain to wade through the left hand list. On the other hand up until now, the two lists was great and involved one less new screen. Perhaps 100 users might be better but no complaints from me.

All I have to do is learn to read and look at the screen - which I am always telling my students to do...

Thanks guys.

brash
Re: System Groups - can
  • 2005/1/12 11:16

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

No only is it a lot harder to administer users in bulk daddystu, once the interface changes it is also ipossible to see who isn't a member of a group, which is just as important as being able to see who is a member. It seems that the user management section is actually harder to use once you get more users, which is really when you need more control. Anyway, this is the thread I started on the dev.xoops forums where I made a recommendation on what I thought could make the user management system work a great deal better.

Quote:

Brash wrote:
Hi All,

This is really a combination of a question along with a suggestion.

Last night I merged two of my sites together which apparentley tripped off a magic marker in XOOPS where group membership management is handled differently.

For those of you who were like I was and didn't know anything about it, this is what I'm talking about;

Before merge (approx 140 users)

Resized Image

After merge (approx 300 users)

Resized Image

At first I was a bit worried, but then bd_cmsc told me that XOOPS automatically changed the interface at a certain number of users.

Anyway, I think that using "find users" feature to select and add users to groups is fine, except now I am unable to check who is NOT a member of a particular group. This is just as important as being able to see who is a member of a group, and not being able to do this is in my view a pretty serious problem. Perfect example is that during the merger of my sites, none of the group membership data was brought across from the second database, so I now have close to 100 users that are not a member of any group (and will get a nasty white page if they login) and no way of telling from the XOOPS admin who these users are. A very ugly position to be in.

Anyway, I think using the "find users" feature for group membership management would be great if;

1) You could select a filter based on who is, and who isn't a member of an existing group. This way the pickle I am in atm would be avoided.

2) Once you have done a search, you can change the sort order of your results without loosing your filter setings. Mith did this with the "Manage Articles" section of AMS, and it really is a VERY useful feature.

3) When browsing between pages of your search results, have it so that it remembers which users you've selected until you select what function you want to do.

These ideas are just my 2 cents, but I think if this functionality was added it would really enhance the usefulness of the group membership management in XOOPS once this magic marker is met. As it is I am going to have to get a script written to go through my user base and add any activated user who isn't a member of any group to the registered user group. It's also lucky I do not have a huge amount of users or a complex group membership setup. This is something that wouldn't have to be done with a full featured group membership manager .

Cheers,

Brash

Login

Who's Online

215 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 215

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits