talon39
A Good document sharing module.
  • 2005/1/10 20:49

• talon39

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/13

There just doesn't seem to be a good document sharing module. I am forced to use the downloads module. WF-Downloads is to complex for this use. When you have an intranet with a couple hundred office forms that need to be shared, users want to quickly browes and find the form. WF-Downloads gives to much info for this purpose. You won't need a description or related home page etc.. The basic mydownloads module is closer, however, it falls short on permissioning and uploading.
The ideal document sharing would have the following minimum requirements:
*Easy Navigation
*Categories and subcategories.
*Simple Links without too much information, that would allow easy browsing. (To much info per item means fewer items will fit on a page and more scrolling).
*Group Based Permissions for every category. Permissions should control both who can view and who can submit.
*The ability for those with permission to upload files (not just enter a url).
*Correctly set mime types for common document formats, so pdfs open in the browser when clicked, not prompt to be save. I have seen this problem in some of the modified versions of mydownloads.

There are sever module that come close, but fall short on some key factor. The one I'm using now is WMPdownloads. It has good permissioning, but no way to upload. I also had to mod the template to remove unneeded info.

carnuke
Re: A Good document sharing module.
  • 2005/1/10 20:55

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Yes, there is a module called uploader, Ill look for it now and edit back soon ...

[edit] here it ishttps://xoops.org/modules/repository/singlefile.php?cid=28&lid=1243

[edit2] hold that a moment... Its the wrong link Argh, Ill post again when Ive checked the docs site module...

dilbert166
  • 2005/1/10 21:06

• dilbert166

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/4 1

and there´s also a hack of the original downloads-mod here
it provides an upload solution.

carnuke
  • 2005/1/10 21:11

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Right, ignore my last link to uploader, it's the file manager module by jan304. Its a port of invision file manager.

the module is HERE

Hope this helps. We used it on the docs site for a while and its a good way of exchanging files. You can also edit files online.

talon39
  • 2005/1/12 15:08

• talon39

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/13

I tried every variation of mydownloads, I could find before making this thread. Including all listed in the modules reository and all mentioned in the forums here. Every module I tried without exception fell short on one of the points I described except wf-downloads which is actually to much for a simple document sharing module.
I believe the uploader module simply failed to work at all for me. I found a hacked version of the mydownloads module, possibley the one methioned in this thread, however i found that it would not open pdf files in a browser. It tries to save them instead. Unless the modules mentioned are new, were previously not accessable, or have been upgraded recently, i probably tried them. I will take a look and see if I already have them downloaded.

p.s.-
The download link for the invisio file manager has a parse error.

thanks for your help.

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits